Otos :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They feed on algae in the tank. Every bottom feeder isn't a vacuum for food and poop lol. Perhaps bottom feeder is a poor stereotype, and a wrong classification for ottos.

MABJ said:
They feed on algae in the tank. Every bottom feeder isn't a vacuum for food and poop lol. Perhaps bottom feeder is a poor stereotype, and a wrong classification for ottos.

Bottom dweller would be a better name. Don't they normally stay on the bottom of the tank?

Bearchumjs said:
Bottom dweller would be a better name. Don't they normally stay on the bottom of the tank?

Not really! I mean they aren't a hovering fish, so when they're at rest, yes -- but these fish are almost never at rest. They're on the glass, on your plants, rocks, driftwood, ect lol.

MABJ said:
Not really! I mean they aren't a hovering fish, so when they're at rest, yes -- but these fish are almost never at rest. They're on the glass, on your plants, rocks, driftwood, ect lol.

Well they should just be called fish then! They don't need a stereotype name like bottom feeder or dweller.

yes, being an algae eater doesnt necessarily make them a bottom feeder, they eat algae in all places otherwise the bottom of the tank would be the only algae free place xD

Fishy Aston said:
3 Zebra Ottos In A 29 Gallon Tank?

No other bottom feeders is that suitable?

They need a well cycled tank with some algae ( I only wipe the front glass, at least leave one wall alone ). They need peaceful tank mates. Plants are good !! Planet Catfish says they MUST have live plants for long term survival !
The tank size is fine, it's all the other factors that make the decision.
Some ottos will eat veg n greens n wafers, some take a long time before they will, so make sure you have a planted tank with one wall to eat on.

3 is ok, more is better.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=353

Ok great and would they get on well with a solo/royal pleco?

Sorry this is the last question just trying to get best possible stock plan I can before I go and start buying all these fish! :)

Fishy Aston said:
Ok great and would they get on well with a solo/royal pleco?

Sorry this is the last question just trying to get best possible stock plan I can before I go and start buying all these fish! :)

You don't have the room for a Royal Pleco they get OVER a foot long. And NO not a good mix !!
Royals are territorial and dislike other Plecos and similar fish. Otos would be eating same food. Direct competition.

If you Googled Royal Pleco you would know this.
Research, stop picking by looks. Look stuff up before you ask questions. Stop trying to stuff big fish in a 29g tank please.

I know you are young, but please try and learn from what you are being told AND do your own reading as well.

Hi
Can I ask one question what is the difference between otos and zebra otos or our they both the same? (not very hardy)

I think Zebra Ottos are more sensitive to water conditions thats what someone said somewhere.

Im sure some will say +1 Or -1 So you will know if that is true or not.

fishyperson3010 said:
Hi
Can I ask one question what is the difference between otos and zebra otos or our they both the same? (not very hardy)

I believe they have different markings - from pictures I think zebras are very pretty.
I would love some but don't think I can get them by me :(

Would they live happily on there own?
Or do they have to be in a pack of 3 or more to be happy.
I will buy 3 but only if they wouldnt be happy together :)

Google is your friend.

Aston, you really need to do more of your own research.

Exactly you gotta research fish before you get them...Thats why I have waited so long to try and get otos!

I've had my two otos for almost 2 weeks now. Love these lil guys.

Back
Top Bottom