Otos #2!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brunettebaby4571

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok a few months ago I believe it was I made a thread about wanting to get otos. Well I FINALLY got some about a month ago and they are going great. They are absolutely my favorite fish in the tank!! They all have their cute little bellies. I have been feeding them cucumber and zucchini and I have seen them eating celery that I feed my snails. What I was wondering was I saw those seaweed sheets at petco and was wondering if otos could or would eat those. I am just trying to find out some different things I could feed the little fellas. I was looking at the omega one veggies rounds has anyone used them with otos? Ok I think that is all! Thank you

I use them for my 3 otos...thats the only ones they will eat ...even my betta eats them..do u use a veggie clip ? R what? I cant find any store that has them in stock but i have a bought stuff for my otos just havent used it yet

Ok thank you! I just like to find out what works for others before i go buy something that they might not even eat. With the veggies I just put them in the microwave and then pour cold water over them and they sink to the bottom. At first my otos didnt want anything to do with the zucchini or cucumber but now when I drop it in they FLY to it and grub out!! haha but yeah I feed my fish the omega one tropical flakes and I was looking at all the ingredients in the veggies rounds and they seemed a lot better than the others that I seen so I think I will pick them up and if they don't have them in the store I will probably just order them offline hopefully they like them! Thank you for the input! I am in love with the otos and want to make sure they get their bellies full! :)

If u get it from petsmart and they dont like it just take it back to petsmart with ur receipt...i had to take back several things before i finally found something..i think my fish like the omega brand better thats all they eat other then fresh food..i give my betta organic spinach when i have it but he eats it before the otos can get it ...

my oto's only ate zucchini and cucumber at first. Now that they've adapted to my tank I notice they eat EVERYTHING. From algae wafers, leftover food, even the omega one shrimp pellets. They are fat and happy.

Yea mine eat like that to..i inherited mine..my sister went to the hospital n had someone feedin her fish on her way home 3days later she stopped in at petsmart grabbed 3 otos just dumped them n her tank then noticed her other fish were dead n had been for a couple days...she just left them there ..i went over grabbed the otos n put them in some water from my tank then cleaned out her tank...they were tiny so i have had them like 2weeks n stay worry something will happen to them..plus i have like a 5.5gal tank...tryin to upgrade now for them....i watch them like a hawk though...lol

Yeah my otos werent keen on the veggies at first but now they are the very first ones on the scene when I drop some in the tank! So cute! I have been wanting to get them for about a year but I kept waiting and then when I was ready I couldnt find them anywhere and then one day I went to the petshop for crickets and saw some otos and just had to have them! I have had them for about a month and a week or so now and they seem to be doing great as far as I can tell!! But I only have a petco and I am hoping they have some of the omega veggie things in store I definitely want to try something new for them!

Yea... im not sure about petco we dont have one here..but if not u can check online for some.. i put some veggies in and actually got a few pics..not to great cause i used the hubby's crappy phone n it was dark..but my mom was pleased with them since it was what she bought for them...lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120614_213501.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120614_213501.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 83
  • ForumRunner_20120614_213636.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120614_213636.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 103
So cute! I just love the little guys! I was thinking about getting a few more but since these guys are doing so well I dont want to mess anything up and them die on me

Yea..i want to add some shrimp n snails..but dont wsntbto overcrowd more then it alredy is...plus im scaried my shrimp will hurt my betta..not to worried about him eatin the shrimp though...lol

Yeah I just lsot a betta but I got a new one today and he is doing great with all my fish and snails. I was worried about it but he gets along great. I picked up some of the omega one veggie wafers and the otos werent crazy about them or anything but I saw them picking at the scraps that my other fish were pushing around.

Loads of people say their hard to feed. I'm like what!!! I have 4 and they love algae wafers, leftover food and occasionally bloodworms!

Its like when I put the veggie wafers in they wanted to eat them but they wouldnt go directly to them they were just cleaning up the pieces the other fish were throwing around. Its weird haha

I think my otos r only eatin bits of the veggie rounds..i take 1 round n break it up n well i try for like 6 small pieces but sometimes doesnt work out..anyway i caught my betta eatin them after they soften some...i tried to catch him on camera didnt work... i passed by n he had his head n the rocks by a piece of the round n his whole body straight up..lol it was hilarious as soon as i walked by n stopped to look at him he darte to the top like im not eatin their food..lol

I have to put extra in because my fish and snails go nuts over the veggie wafers its awful lol but the otos are obviously eating something since they have been alive for close to two months now lol they arent scared of me at all. When I am cleaning the tank they actually will sit in my hand lol and my other fish are constantly trying to touch me its crazy lol

Does anyone know if I get a few more otos will the ones I already have take to the new ones and do their little "schooling" or whatever it is that otos do? Or will they just ignore the new ones? And vice versa will the new ones want to be around the old ones?

brunettebaby4571 said:
Does anyone know if I get a few more otos will the ones I already have take to the new ones and do their little "schooling" or whatever it is that otos do? Or will they just ignore the new ones? And vice versa will the new ones want to be around the old ones?

I could imagine they would all get on. What do you want to boost it up to?

Back
Top Bottom