otos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
I managed to convince myself that I needed some in my community tank.... but I'm finding it hard to determine their bioload. Any ideas? Also do they eat algae as adults?

Otos are obligate vegetarians and will eat algae their entire lives. I personally am not a huge fan of them as I never see them and they never seem to eat much algae.

Also, fairly small bioloads IMO.

Good to know!! The amount of algae in my tank isn't really substantial. They don't seem to get uber large. So maybe just some funky creatures

I like my SAE. The ones I have are about a year old and still eating algae, but more importantly they are extremely diligent cleaners and are entertaining to watch.

I had otos a while back. By far my favorite AEs ive had. They kept my tank extremely clean and work very hard. I gave them a zuchini slice every so often but the algae will suffice if u decide not to feed them fresh veggies! Definitly get these guys!

I kept 2 ottos in a 5 Gallon with a female betta and a mystery snail. I know way too small of a tank and they need larger groups. But they were good cleaners. I even caught them once cleaning the snail itself!

Back
Top Bottom