Otos died then Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zilla870

Aquarium Advice FINatic
went to lfs where we got the oto's from and they r dieing there too! must be a bad bunch! drift wood arrived today so new pics will be available later! hope the rams like them! boiling driftwood now!

When did you get those and how much did you pay for them??

Jchillin told me once about... oh no, what was it called.. bleaching? I wish i could remember the term, if he doesn't respond here I will PM him and ask

But depending on how much you paid, I would return them and ask for "better" ones because the colors of those to pale to what they should look like. And i know once you have fish, you might not want to take them back (i totally understand, cuz im like that) but if you paid more than $4 each for those you got ripped off

yesterday and they are only about 1" and just turn tank light on and took pic when they were sleeping. when light is on for long time the color on them is better and it was only about 3.5 each

I was just wondering because Jchillin gave me the heads up when buying german blue rams

Because if they were that cheap either you:
1. got an awesome deal
2. got ripped off/not a great fish due to bleaching (or whatever term it is he used)

thanks i still think they look better when the light is on during the day. i will take pic tomorrow and post them.

FWIW I think you have the sexes mixed up. I could be wrong though.

I have two males and a female. The female is brightly coloured and the dominant male is too. The other male is very pale. Just to show me it wasn't sick....the non-dominant one, just a few days ago became fully coloured and appeared to have swapped positions in the pecking order with the other male. I can tell them apart now because the previous male had a dorsal fin spike bent over in a scrap. The non dominant male this time has faded looking colours. Mind you both eat quite well.

I keep saying I am going to get breeding tanks and never get the $$$ together. I bet if I took the pair out the non-dominant male would colour up.

If you don't see a marked improvement in colouration I would start to be a bit worried. In the pics they seem to be cowering a bit. they should be spritely and full of beans.

lyquidphyre said:
When did you get those and how much did you pay for them??

Jchillin told me once about... oh no, what was it called.. bleaching? I wish i could remember the term, if he doesn't respond here I will PM him and ask

But depending on how much you paid, I would return them and ask for "better" ones because the colors of those to pale to what they should look like. And i know once you have fish, you might not want to take them back (i totally understand, cuz im like that) but if you paid more than $4 each for those you got ripped off

I didn't have this thread bookmarked and would have missed it if I hadn't been "snooping" around.

I do remember providing you with the Rams information Lyquid. There are weaker strains of Rams (as depicted in your links). I don't recall mentioning any cause for it.

Depending on the lighting used...most G blues will look a pale gray. The only way to know for sure that you have an excellent strain is by looking for the "neon" coloration around the head and mouth. The pics posted in the links are great to use for comparision but those pics were taken in excellent lighting conditions.

zilla - the next time you take a pic. Use auto-mode with the flash. Angle the camera so you don't get the reflection of the flash boucing off the glass. This should show all the colors very vividly.

Oh, sorry...overlooked the Otos, sorry to hear about that zilla. Oto's are an enigma in that they really require an established tank (very sensitive to ph swings, NH3, NO2 and NO3) but, they are known to eat diatoms (brown algae) which really only occurs in a new tank (new tank syndrome). Therefore most folks introduce them to the tank to consume the diatoms. Once the diatoms are gone, they seem to miss that particular part of their diet and coupled with the tank not being established, seem to meet their demise prematurely.

Jchillin said:
I do remember providing you with the Rams information Lyquid. There are weaker strains of Rams (as depicted in your links). I don't recall mentioning any cause for it.

So sorry.. i have a horrible memory and I honestly thought you gave me a specific term for it. And my inbox reached its limit and I deleted everything in my inbox so I couldn't go back and check. Didn't mean to misquote ya!

well my rams have some new friends now. 10 rummynose tetras 3 panda cory 2 clown pleco found the wood with a cave in it and haven't left it since. rams are staying in back right corner cant take pics sorry. but the color looks great today. and also add a java fern today. i have a bunch of cambonba 3 water spirits 1 bannana plant 2 unknown plants still, bunch of twisted vallis. my water lilly looks like it finally spouted. the female ram is acting like she is guarding something there. ram have only be in tank for 3days.

the male is checking out all the new guys in the tank. goes up to them and pick and swims away. its funny.then goes and check on his female hiding in the rocks or the upper corner where she is alot. still havent been able to get a pic of them with their full color i want a close up. they look like real rams now.

update female ram die at 10:40pm cst. i would like to take a moment of silents.............................................

If your water is cycled/perfect, you should take her back to the fish store and ask for store creidt

Sorry for your loss

I mean a replacement fish. Not that you actually NEED the fish right now...just the store credit so you can get a replacement if/when you are sure that the rest of the fish are healthy. If you don't do it ASAP the lfs will wash their hands of the matter and blame you for doing something wrong. If you get to them straight away and kindly explain that the female died an early death and it never adapted to your tank, you will be more likely to get credit. Explain that is must have been a weak specimen because you had per-cycled your tank. Explain the symptoms. If they were selling a weak batch you will notice fish with the same unhealthy behaviour and then you can say "See like that"..... Then get a fish when you see healthy fish in stock.

No, the male won't die just coz it is alone.

BTW from this point adding more fish straight from the LFS to your tank is risky and would be a good opportunity to set up a QT.

Back
Top Bottom