otto ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have two otto's in a ten gallon tank with some other fish. One of my ottos is just fat its belly is just as round as it can be. It has been this way since I got them Two weeks ago. Could it be pregnant or is it just fat?

Tess

Probably just fat. It is usually a good thing if an Otto's belly is a little round.

otto

If I ever figure it out, I will let you know. I have one that literally looks like it swallowed a pea. The others are merely plump. The little fat one has been that way for months. Also have a peppered cory who looks like the inspiration for the movie character Big Momma. Some of it was eggs, but she still looks waaaaaaayyy too good at finding the food first. lol

There was a post a while back on fat fish, http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=82757&highlight=fat
if you'd like to read it. good luck with your healthy eater! lol

Round Belly on an Otto usually means it is eating which can be a problem for Otto's.

Mike 469 are ottos not supposed to eat. I have never seen them eating anything other than on the plant leaves.

Tess

mom2reds said:
Mike 469 are ottos not supposed to eat. I have never seen them eating anything other than on the plant leaves.

Tess

No the problem is when they _stop_ eating. They eat algae, and if there isn't enough in your tank then they starve unless you supplement with algae wafers.

Getting ottos to survive the first month in your aquarium is the big challenge - many (many) die during that time. Once you are past that hump, and if they have plenty of food, then you should be able to enjoy them for a good long time.

I bought 6 for my 75G and 4 in my 29G. Even with the algae abundance in my 29G, my 4 otos are alive and well, and look like they are eating, bellies are big and round. The 6 in my 75G are doing well as well. :)

Back
Top Bottom