otto and rcs breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all! Do ottos and rcs breed under the same conditions? I was considering breeding zebra ottos in my nano tank :)
Thanks in advance and God bless!

Anything can happen lol my Bettas used to live on once a month or less water changes in 1 gal and .5 gal bowls lol miracle fish i know do WC once a week or every two weeks

Anything can happen lol my Bettas used to live on once a month or less water changes in 1 gal and .5 gal bowls lol miracle fish i know do WC once a week or every two weeks

Lol I think most of us have tried bettas like that! I dont do water changes alot bc I am very busy but I use live plants to filter.

I don't know wht to use only plant alive is a java moss in one tank the rest died

I honestly have never heard of ottos being bred in captivity. From what I have read it is an extreme challenge, they almost never spawn in a tank.

I honestly have never heard of ottos being bred in captivity. From what I have read it is an extreme challenge, they almost never spawn in a tank.

Yes I know it is rare. I was thinking if I set the tank the way they like it then it would happen or it wouldnt but it would be cool if it did.

It's not unheard of, just not something that most folks (myself included) are able to do. :)

In the unlikely event that your otos breed, it's very possible that the shrimp will eat their eggs before you have a chance to notice them. I have had RCS eat fish eggs before.

It's not unheard of, just not something that most folks (myself included) are able to do. :)

In the unlikely event that your otos breed, it's very possible that the shrimp will eat their eggs before you have a chance to notice them. I have had RCS eat fish eggs before.

In that case I probably wont bother. I was gonna try scarlet badis as well but I imagine that will yeild similar results...
Just out of curiousity will they breed in a room temp aquarium?

Slightly off topic but just wanted to mention that clown killies and spotted blue eyed rainbowfish are both not-so-difficult nano breeders that can work if you give them the right conditions.

but both are egg scatterers, so probably same result. Great fish though!

Slightly off topic but just wanted to mention that clown killies and spotted blue eyed rainbowfish are both not-so-difficult nano breeders that can work if you give them the right conditions.

Thanks! I already have some half beaks so I do not think the clowns would work. I love blue eyes though :) I think my tank would be close to overstocked though :(

Back
Top Bottom