Otto cats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am bringing this rainbow shark back and was thinking of getting a couple Otto's in place to help with algea since I hear their bio load is small. Would like 3 Otto's be a fair swap in capacity?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Being a sort of schooling fish 5-6 is recommended. especially with the rainbow shark. Rainbows can be territorial. I have schools of 5 in a community tank and my rainbow shark leaves them alone. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421514269.102145.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Being a sort of schooling fish 5-6 is recommended. especially with the rainbow shark. Rainbows can be territorial. I have schools of 5 in a community tank and my rainbow shark leaves them alone. View attachment 261356

My shark is an *** and harasses everything. The LFS guy told us only get one shark cause they would kill each other if more than one was in the tank.
Im actually rehoming this shark before it kills my electric blue ram so I was thinking of getting some ottos

Even though Rams are less aggressive than most cichlids, they are still cichlids and he might feel threatened by them. That could be what it is or maybe I just got the shark that's really chill. Mine never bothers the other fish in the tank he keeps to himself.

If he continues to be an *** to all your fish maybe trade him for a new one? That's awesome he's active because mine hides a lot but just throwing some options out there. Following to see how it goes :)

What size is the tank and do you have a good amount of algae?

They definitely need to be in an established tank with a good amount of algae. Mine also like to graze on the plants.

He mainly focuses on my blue ram which was pricey. It's a 29 established with good algae

A 29g is too small for a Rainbow Shark.

Otos eat soft green algae. Control lighting if you are having algae issues.

No issue per say just spots I clean every week.
I'm getting rid of him

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

For my first tank (I was 9) I had a rainbow in a 20g. Would shred the fins off of my tiger barbs and even killed a few. And yes, I thought he was an a ***. But my brother then had a rainbow in his 50 and it had been a model citizen. Conclusion: aggressive fish in small tanks=bad idea

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Either way, still one of my all time favorite fish (and that's including saltwater)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Got him out but do not know what to do with it. Its in a tupperwear but can't get back to store today. Any suggestions?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Larger bin, an air stone, and heater until the morning or whenever you can get to the lfs

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay to actually answer your question, in my opinion 3 Otos would be fine. I have two in my 29 and they absolutely thrive. They are extremely healthy. Otos are a great algae eater especially if you need something small and peaceful.

Shep

I have 5 otos in my 29 gallon as of yesterday. Didn't have time to get a head count in today but they should all be there. They seem to play sometimes when eating and is kinda funny to watch. Happy i got the number i did.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom