OUCH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amesdrew

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been having bad luck lately.

I went to my lfs, bought more lemon tetras, they were a little pale but looked good. I got them in my tank after acclimating them and they still seemed fine. Later that night one looked week, I had just purchased stress coat so I used the recommended dosage.

It died that night, and was pretty eaten away at...

The night after that fateful night, my female betta and my dominant lemon tetra died. They weren't eaten at, although a loach was around the betta. She was very hard and I am guessing maybe from eating at the Tetra the night before?

Now, my male ram isn't looking so hot... Still has his colors but is just staying put, and not eating.

Can i put too much stress zyme in the tank. I worry about overdosing. How often should i use it? I hate losing fish and none of them had any signs of abuse or ich.

It was showing a trace amount of ammonia though, so I did 15% water changes for the last two days. It all looks good, I use prime to declhorinate.

Every other fish looks good too, I just dont get it. ANY INFO OUT THERE??

Drew

Tough to say what's going on. I'd do larger water changes (50%) to keep te water pristine while we figure out what's going on.

+1. Clean water will be your best bet.

Also if your worried about the stress coat overdose then put carbon in the tank, also make sure you dont have carbon in the tank when putting meds in there like stress coat. It could be in a little compartment in ther filter.

stress coat is a water conditioner...you can't really over dose with it...you should only use it when doing water changes or if your fish has damaged fins/tail.

as others mentioned, do a bigger water change(50%) and see if the fish improve.

I will, but the male just died. I'm frusterated...

Water change tomorrow. A big one...
I just don't understand how in 1 week they go from laying eggs to one dying, and the other possibly following..

Thanks

Yep, PWC is your best bet. Sorry about your fish losses :( Maybe some chemical or contaminant got in there, or your stresszyme expired/went bad? Check to see that all your equipment is working too.

--Adeeb

All great advice.

Two more things:

If the new fish looked pale at the LFS, they were probably sick or stressed to begin with. Add them into a tank with ammonia=disaster. It wouldn't account for deaths of the fish you already had though.

Why is your there ammonia in your water? Did you overclean the filter? Over feed the fish? Not do enough PWC to keep the nitrates down?

What are your nitrite and nitrate readings? PH? And what kind of test are you using?

Definately maintain those big water changes and get to the bottom of why you have ammonia in the water.

Like all have said, pristine water never hurts and always helps during this type of crisis.

Back
Top Bottom