our local lfs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sesos

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ya know, it seems as though the lfs in any given area can give out lots of bad info, based on what I've read in these forums and from personal experience. Why is that? Is it simply differing opinions, lack of knowledge or a desire to just move you out the door and collect the cash? Here's my sad experience: I bought a 10 gallon kit for my 3 year old daughter and myself after a viewing of Finding Nemo (stop laughing please, you saw it too). I brought it home, set it up, added all of the super-modern-get-it-ready-fast chemistry that they gave me and 2 days later went back for some fish. Most of you probably can't remember how hard it is for a 3 year old to wait 2 days (let alone a 42 year old) but lemme tell ya, it's rough! Anyway, I tell the guy that it's a brand new tank, it's only 10 gallons and this is what we want: 2 angel fish, 5 neons, a catfish and an algea eater. This is based on what I thought would make a good community tank which was based on my experience of none. Guess what happened? The very next morning, they had all croaked. I went back and talked to somebody else and he seemed quite surprised that the other guy would have let me buy so many fish for a new tank. I explained that he seemed kinda rushed ( I remember a "more important" customer pushing for service) but that really I just felt badly about the dead fishes. He was nice about it, gave me the info on how to proceed with our current tank situation and at a later date made up for my losses. But I still wonder, why does stuff like this happen at all? As new people just entering the hobby, we are just plain D-U-M-B. Why couldn't my first salesperson just say "oh no, you're only getting two fish today because..."? I have to admit that part of the blame lies on folks like me being way too excited. I mean, if you want a dog or a cat, you just bring it home and figure it out. These fish are quite different and far less tolerant. How does the right information get to the newest and most excited hobbiests if it doesn't come from the LFS?

Some good advice you can get from the LFS. My guy won't sell you something unless you have an established tank. He won't even let me buy his new stock for a couple of days until he can monitor them and make sure they are all healthy and eating properly.

Couple of thoughts/comments.

Was it a fish only store? Or a little bit of everything? Chances are, if it was the latter, the employee got a cursive instruction on fishkeeping and was sent out into the retail pet world. Also keep in mind most lfs/lps are not big money making businesses for the most part (believe it or not) and hire at near minimum wage. So chances of having a well versed employee is not a guarantee UNLESS you wind up at a store which places a high importance on fish. Most don't; its not a money maker the way cats n dogs are (just look at the diff in food prices and you'll see what I mean).

And I do think that carries over to cats n dogs as well. Some places take your money and run; others require some education before letting you walk out with a fuzzy pet. I personally think its a matter of priority on the part of the establishment. You may want to consider writing a letter to the owner spelling out your experience. It may be the impetus obviously needed to get some more training going on there (as in, teach those employees some proper fish care so the business doesn't lose money on dead fish coming back).

I feel the need to jump in here. The LFS in my area are.... despicable. I live in Orange County by the way. Pet store owners here care nothing for the condition of your tank or theirs. They have little to no knowledge of the product they sell, their prices are high, and they the worst warranties on things. In my immediate area there are 10-ish pet stores(indie stores) All of them suck. Yes I have been to them all,because I would get burned by one, and move onto the next. This may shock some, but I like PetSmart and Petco, while I would never make any big purchases at these megalith chains, they do offer a standard of service and quality. Anyways... thats my two drips.

Much like James, most of the stores in my area of south Houston suck! There is only one store that I trust buying my fish from. All of the employees there are the best and will talk fish with me for hours without rushing me. The best store in my area is Neptune's Garden on 45 at Fuqua. On the other hand, the very worst store in my are was selling fish that were CLEARLY infected with disease. I watched the salesman scoop out fish with body fungus and put them in a bag for a customer. I had to stop and say something. This is after I made the mistake of not closely inspecting my fish once. I was mad. The sucky store is Pet's Place on Beamer @ Scarsdale. I know that it's not cool to badmouth places, but nobody should ever buy fish at this store.

IMO, the lfs is the place I go to buy my fish tank stuff after I have done the research on my own in books, the internet, and this forum. I then try to find a lfs that takes relatively good care of its livestock. I watch the fish for a while, and try to pick out the healthy looking ones. Even with all this, stuff happens (see my post "taking care of tailless fish"). One thing I have noticed about most people (in any profession) is that they'd rather guess than ask someone else or simply say "I don't know." Therefore it is my responsibility to say "I don't know" and get the best info I have available. The best advice I can give you? Buy a book on basic fishkeeping. Then, keep in touch with us and let us know what's going on. There's a lot of really knowledgable folks in here that are willing to help. Best wishes!

thanks people

Alli: It's a big lfs. The guy who let me overstock is the sw expert. Maybe he was just having a super-bad day, dunno.

Shawmutt: That's the exact path I've taken. I'm gonna edumacate myself with books and questions for you guys, thanks for the replies.

Everyone else: sorry you've got such lousy dealers.

I think Shawmutt said it best. We can't count on the lfs for educational information. Mostly because they usually don't know and feel pressured to appease you with an answer. I simply don't count on them for information. Sad as it sounds, you have to get your info on your own and use them for supply purposes only.

Wow. I'd be furious if it were someone who SHOULD have a working knowledge, like that SW guy. Personally, I'd be writing a letter; that shouldn't be allowed to happen again. Bad day or not, his information caused the death of a bunch of fish as well as monetary loss to the store.

I agree tho; I do my homework now before buying anything. Learned my lesson with the pleco I was sold as an algae eater (who is now 8 inches long LOL).

I have often pondered this issue. I have two small independent fish-only stores, and then 3-4 PetSmart type stores. I have overheard many a conversation between employee and customer, and it is rare that I hear really good advice, except at the indie stores, but even there they do not make sure the customer understands what they are getting into. Example, "Is your tank cycled?" Reply: "Um, yeah....pretty much." Then they go ahead and bag up the fish. To my ear, that person did not really know what "cycled" meant. I have heard employees pushing the chemicals to raise and lower pH, clear cloudiness, get rid of algae, etc., which I guess for them they do have an interest in selling these products, though I personally would not use them. I don't think I could work in a fish store because I would be torn between the desire to sell my merch and the desire to teach people how to have successful tanks! The solution is to converse with the employees and DO buy things from them that you need, so they will stay in business and hopefully improve, and make things better for the next newbie coming in down the line. Let them know about this website and find out if they frequent the internet for information. Don't be afraid to speak up. When I started I was a frog-hair away from getting that GORGEOUS red-tailed catfish that was about 3-inches long, to put in my 12-gal. Thank goodness I went home and looked him up first! 8O

I guess I should feel lucky. Even though I am a newbie at this there are in my area 3 great LFS within a 1/2 mile of each other. 2 are SW only, 1 of then has 2 - 650 gal show tanks with more in the back, the other will make any tank, stand, canopy you could want and has some high quality livestock and accesthe other is a combo (SW & FW). They are all knowledgable and willing to answer any questions I have, they will spend as much time with you or let you look around till hearts content. They even showed me their whole filtration systems, and all parts involved.

The hardest part for me is to spread my money between these 3 stores, plus another great one 45 mins north.

Because of these stores I have only brought my MH online, everything else was aquired through my LFS.

I have had similar experiences as posted here but the worst lfs I went to actually offered "self service" fish 8O That's right, like a lolly shop where you can scoop out what you want into a bag then go to the checkout and pay. Besides the possible harm and stress this type of thing could cause it prevented the staff from leaving their stations and actually checking the fish stock. There were so many floating fish in all the tanks I had to stop myself from running out of the store screaming never to return.

Don't even mention Wal-Mart. The other day I went in there and checked on their fish, at LEAST 1-2 dead fish per tank, many of them being eaten. 3 tanks completely covered in snails. A goldfish tank without about two dozen medium sized fish, half of which were dead and floating, the other half floating and competing with the dead fish for room to gasp at the top. Another tank was so cloudy I couldn't tell what was inside. I was horrified. I'd like to boycott our walmart completely but unfortunately it's the only store in our town and the closest LFS are almost an hour away. We always drive down there for fish but it's too much of a hassle when you need some stress coat or a filter cartridge. I have to give the colerain (cincinnati) PetSmart credit, for the amount of tanks they have and the minimal staffing, they do an excellent job of tank upkeep.

Ryan

My local WalMart did not used to have a fish department, so I was content. They just added one, unfortunately, so I steer clear of that area as it is depressing. Unfortunately, for staple items and when you have kids to clothe, I do go in there now and then.

I am with you on my PetSmart. They get bashed a lot and I do not have any faith in the knowledge of their staff, but I have had very good luck with the fish I have purchased from two of the three local stores here. Their tanks have healthy fish without disease, so they are doing something right. I can't beat the prices on things like food and filter floss, etc. I do my research before I go in and do not ask them for any advice, other than to learn what they are feeding and get them to test their water for me. My husband thinks I am crazy because of the bouncing around I do, I go to this store for this, that store for that, but there is no question about what I will and will not buy from each store.

Back
Top Bottom