Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Out of town....

I'm gonna end up being away from home for about two weeks, and I'm trying to make a list now of what the pet sitter needs to do.

My big concern is water changes.
I have a 29g tank, and do 10% wc every three days (leaves just a little water in the bottom of my fry box/net thing, so i don't have to move it around, and try to prevent escapes)
Besides 20ish guppy fry and the two parents, i have 15danios (long fin and assorted glo), 5 kuhli loaches, 5or so ghost shrimp and one poor lone oto (his buddies didn't make it)

Because I'm transferring to a better filter, i do have two running right now (one is a fuval c4, the other is something from aqueon) they will both be running while im gone.

I don't trust my sitter on water changes (last year it was just our cats, and sitter didn't change the boxes; it was so bad the cats used our bathtub to crap in)

What can i do to make sure my fish are okay while I'm gone? Would a massive wc before i leave, And another when i return be enough? Besides food and wc, am i forgetting anything?

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 03-07-2014, 07:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It could be touch and go with the fry but you might get away with just a very large water change just before you go and again as soon as you get back. Give the filters a cleaning, in tank water and you should be ok. Get the sitter to only feed the main stock every other day. How old/big are the fry??

Old 03-07-2014, 10:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

They will be three weeks old when i leave

Sent from my XT907 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com