Outcast Danio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xazax

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 10 Zebra Danios in a 55 with 4 Boesmani Rainbows, 4 Denison Barbs, and 1 Dwarf Crayfish. 9 of the danios school together but one is always in the same dark corner by himself. He only ventures away for food for a short time. He seems to be smaller than all the others also. He doesn't seem sick at all. I feel bad for him, anything I could do? Maybe give him back to the pet shop?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 10 Zebra Danios in a 55 with 4 Boesmani Rainbows, 4 Denison Barbs, and 1 Dwarf Crayfish. 9 of the danios school together but one is always in the same dark corner by himself. He only ventures away for food for a short time. He seems to be smaller than all the others also. He doesn't seem sick at all. I feel bad for him, anything I could do? Maybe give him back to the pet shop?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a perfectly healthy cherry barb that does the same thing. No idea why. The other 4 school and swim fine and he hides in his cave. Comes out during feeding then back in the cave

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Danios I've noticed tend to pick on the littlest of the group. I had this problem until all of mine became the same size.

Have you noticed any sort of aggression?

•22 gal zebra danio, 75 gal red ear slider•

just how they act, no need to worry enless they start bullying him. My danios school sometimes, othertimes they're everywhere. Same with my cherry barbs

Thanks for the replies. There is definitely some aggression with the danios, nothing harmful. I had just never read about one being singled out but I suppose it does make sense. Hopefully the runt will get back in with the "in-crowd" when he grows a bit.

Your Danio

Hello xaz...

Interesting. I keep Rosey Danios and one male circles his own area of the tank and the rest of the shoal stays together. At meal time, they'll swim together for a short time. Then that male prefers to swim alone.

Nothing to worry about.

B

Back
Top Bottom