outdoor loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid Kid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all.
I recently opened a thread in ponds and watergardens concerning the idea of letting my dojo loaches spend the summer outside. Has anyone done this at all? If so I'd appreciate any input. I'm curious to find out how cold of water they can acclimate to safely. All research I've done hadn't shown exactly how cold dojos can tolerate. Their natural environment would suggest fairly cold water but maybe not so with the golden strain.
Sorry for the long post. Any input at all is extremely appreciated.

Supposedly there are places here in northern Illinois where dojo loaches are considered an invasive threat because some idiot dumped them and they've thrived in the local waterways. If they can survive the winters here, they'll have no problem outside in the summer.

I've heard rumors to that but nothing concrete. Illinois DNR should have records of it. Finally somewhere to start more research.
Thank-you

This is what I found in relation to their temperature range:
Temperature: 50- 77ºF (10 - 25ºC)

They have a whole section of invasive species in the Shedd Aquarium and the dojo loach is on display there. I'd be weary of keeping them outside just for the sheer fact they can survive if they escape! :X

Yep. I already thought of that. I'm aware they can survive outa water. Rite now I'm fabricating a barrier for around my pond. It will be on a 45°angle and impossible to climb.

Back
Top Bottom