Over Aggression Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unknown_7

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,

So this a sort of like an update/ follow up to my previous post a few days back about my 20 gallon.

So today I decided to buy more tiger barbs (2 albinos to add to my current 3 green tiger barbs). The albinos are very passive and go about their own business. However, the one dominant green tiger barb, leaves the albinos alone, but still chases the other two green tiger barbs. I'm also realizing that he keeps nipping them and when he's done, be spits out big chunks of scales...:(. So I have no idea what to do now. I don't have another tank to put him in and the lfs around here likely won't take him.

Thanks for your responses in advance.

When I have had this problem in the past, the most effective solution has always been a larger tank with more hiding spaces, and a larger school. Something about being in a little tank with only a few other fish seems to encourage such behavior.

Others may have other solutions, but I would use this situation as an excuse to develop MTS and give these guys more friends and a larger living space.

I've been told a bigger school will help as it will spread out the aggression. i.e. he will pick on alot of fish a little, rather than pick on 1 fish alot. But for that to work I guess you would want to go up to about 8 tiger barbs if that won't overstock your tank. Or else you would need a bigger tank....

Back
Top Bottom