Over clean??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlid_tank619

Aquarium Advice Freak
I had high nitrates in my 55gal, so I did a 50% PWC. Now the question is.. Can I clean out my media baskets and sponges in my fluval? Will it be over kill and/or will it harm the fish? I did it maybe a month ago (canister cleaning).

If they need cleaned to get the nitrates down you'll need to clean them. With a 50% water change there should still be enough BB in the tank to hold you over till the filter gains BB back. Just don't way over clean the tank and filters all at once

Andrew McFadden said:
If they need cleaned to get the nitrates down you'll need to clean them. With a 50% water change there should still be enough BB in the tank to hold you over till the filter gains BB back. Just don't way over clean the tank and filters all at once

Yeah I'm going to wait a few hours and test the water and if its still high ill do the baskets/sponges. Just don't want to shock my fish.

Andrew McFadden said:

Hey it's been a couple hours since the PWC and the nitrate level is still high? Should I just do the canister?

Attachments

• image-3303622656.jpg
    image-3303622656.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 82
Andrew McFadden said:
It's good its nitrate and not ammonia so I'd clean a little at a time. Clean the canister and clean the tubes

I've been thinking about cleaning the tubes. What's a good method of doing that (fluval tubes)?

Hi, I have a question and need advice on cleaning the saltwater stains on my tank so It can be converted and setup for fresh-water tank without the spots???
Here is what i have tried so far with a razor blade...
1) vinegar and let it set
2) clr & soaking it
3) metcuric acid from home depot
4) baking soda
5) Lime juice and lemon juice

and so far the saltwater stains are still there on this 75 gal tank...Any ideals will be welcome....

V L Hudson

Last edited:
vlhudson said:
Hi, I have a question and need advice on cleaning the saltwater stains on my tank so It can be converted and setup for fresh-water tank without the spots???
Here is what i have tried so far with a razor blade...
1) vinegar and let it set
2) clr & soaking it
3) metcuric acid from home depot
4) baking soda
5) Lime juice and lemon juice

and so far the saltwater stains are still there on this 75 gal tank...Any ideals will be welcome....

V L Hudson

It takes a lot of elbow grease but it will come off with water/vinegar and a razor blade.

Back
Top Bottom