Over feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieKeeper429

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have two tanks, with both good parameters and healthy fish but I have clean my gravel/sand basically every day because I ALWAYS overfeed without meaning to. I add a pinch to each tank and my fish don't gravitate to the food so I usually think I didn't put enough and I'll add another pinch. Or I'll add a pinch and they will only eat a nibble and I have to clean the rest back out. Is there any tricks to not getting too much or too little food?? I was thinking of just doing frozen food instead of flakes at this point! Help!

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta

I would try a different type of food. Maybe something freeze dried or frozen. The fish might not be a fan of the flak food. Fish can be very picky eaters.

I have frozen food in my freezer but I haven't tried it yet. I'll try it tomorrow AM. Thanks!

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta

I'm also gonna try some algae wafers I already have for my shark.

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta

Yeah, I tried them before but I feel like it wouldn't hurt.

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta

What fish do you have? Most fish are not very picky. Only picky fish I have is my ropefish and he specifically only eats LIVE worms and they have to be hand fed or right in his face.

Like said above though not all fish like flakes. Some people swear by pellet food. Try a variety.

As for the algae wafers being a waste... Just use half a pellet instead. I use 2 full pellets and it feeds 10 mystery snails, my GBR(along with flakes), 14 Cory cats, and an Angelicus and dojo loach.

Caleb

Last edited:
If your fish don't feed well then generally they are over fed. Don't feed for 48 hrs, they will come to no harm, it's even beneficial for them and the tank parameters will settle as well. Then feed them sparingly. When I'm away for a week I only have them fed every second or third day. If I'm away for a weekend then they don't get fed. I'm embarrassed at how much better they look and behave for having a break from my enthusiastic feeding.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

If your fish don't feed well then generally they are over fed. Don't feed for 48 hrs, they will come to no harm, it's even beneficial for them and the tank parameters will settle as well. Then feed them sparingly. When I'm away for a week I only have them fed every second or third day. If I'm away for a weekend then they don't get fed. I'm embarrassed at how much better they look and behave for having a break from my enthusiastic feeding.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Awesome! I will do that! Thanks!!

20g long Baby Shark tank
10g Betta

My fish love frozen blood worms! Sometimes I drop a whole cube into the tank. The fish fight over it. Then I have to slowly feed another cube so I'm sure everyone got something to eat.

Yeah I think you gave us the answer ... You keep adding food. ;-) I know it sounds simple but just feed less. If they don't eat it in 2 minutes they're not hungry enough.

That being said I swear by New Life Spectrum Thera A. I've had this container for over a year and only used half in a 29 gallon. The garlic maybe attracts them ... They turn their nose up at frozen food.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom