Over Flow Tanks? Why?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks

Someone told me I needed to have one for my freshwater tank. Thanks...

Nope, you do not need an overflow setup for a FW tank. A canister or HOB filter works just fine.

There is no reason you cannot have one for a fw and there are benefits just as there are in sw. I'd prefer drilling a tank over an hob overflow, if that is the case.

I can't drill into temper glass on the 75 gal. I bought a a Emperor 400 filter. I would love to own a 120 gal. First I really need to educate my self on what the heck I am doing.

I can't drill into temper glass on the 75 gal. I bought a a Emperor 400 filter. I would love to own a 120 gal. First I really need to educate my self on what the heck I am doing.

You can make a custom overflow box that will siphon water out of your tank. If that sounds like too much work then a canister filter will work great as well :D

No, I want to set this tank up correctly and I would rather take the time and do it correct the first- before making anymore mistakes or buying anymore fish.

Well don't get me wrong because an Emperor 400 and some type of canister filter like an XP4 would be a great combination on a 75 gallon. That is the route I would go. I went with a wet / dry filter on my 120 because it was already drilled and those two filters would not be suffice for 120 gallons, it was cheaper for me to make a wet / dry filter then buying a couple really large canister filters.

I will do some research on the Xp4. I will keep the Emperor 400 and see what I find out.

I tried a sump on a 180 gal with no real improvement over 2 Fluval 403's. The oldest one is 19 years old, running 24 7. I believe the newer one's are easier to clean.

Last edited:
I am still looking into the overflow. I haven't made my mind up yet. Correct me if I am wrong. If I have an overflow tank. the plus would be the fish would be healthier - due to the fact (if I got a 29 gal for the overflow for the 75 gal) I would always have the correct cycle running (Since I read and set it up correctly before adding fish). Also, when adding water you would add it to the overflow instead of the tank. As, of now, I know it is NOT so much important to have an overflow tank. I have not read anywhere that says it is (NOT A GOOD IDEA) I have read nothing but plus factors.

So, I guess the question now is who has overflow tanks? and what was your reasoning on having one? and still why? And if a person with a 55 gal on up was to have one who out there knows how to set one up for a 55 gal/75 gal/120 gal and on up? What if any is the neg. of having one? Plus factor also, if you decided to switch to sw you are one step in the correct direction.

My 120 gallon was a SW tank when I purchased it, so I already had the means to use a wet / dry, I just didn't have the actual wet / dry. I used a 29 gallon tank that I had lying around. It's really not that difficult. I use filter floss for mechanical filtration and about 90 pot scrubbies for bio filtration.

Some pluses for wet / drys are you increase the water volume of the tank so your parameters are more stable then with a smaller tank. You can hide your equipment in the wet / dry (ie heater, etc..).

On the downside they are typically louder then canister filters. Be prepared to hear water flowing through the wet dry and depending on how you have your overflow set up you might also get a gargling noise.

You might want to read over at Monster Fish Keepers as there is a TON of information on DIY wet / dry filters and overflows.

You got some good points. I check into that. Don't get me wrong. If I do not need to spend the money - no one in their right mind would. I am looking towards long term. I don't want to spend $$$ on our little friends and something happens to them/or someone says where's the overflow tank #####?

If I have an overflow tank. the plus would be the fish would be healthier - due to the fact (if I got a 29 gal for the overflow for the 75 gal) I would always have the correct cycle running (Since I read and set it up correctly before adding fish).

No, just because you have an overflow does not mean your fish will be healthier. As long as you cycle the tank prior to adding fish, maintain a proper water change schedule, feed a good diet, QT all new arrivals, have proper filtration, hiding places, heat, and the correct mix of fish, you shouldn't have any problems. You will not have a greater success rate just because of the type of filtration, if all other factors are the same.

Back
Top Bottom