Over population

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarahtaylor

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hiya,
I've had a tropical tank for just over two years now, never really had a problem with it. It's a small tank at 33 x 30 x 43cm, holds 21.6 litres. At the moment I have 20 fish in there ranging from neons to barbs + 1 Pleco, they are all healthy from what i can see. I was just wondering if this was way too many fish for the size tank that I have, as it seems really busy, will it effect the health of my fish in the long run ? IMG_1871.jpg

Definitely way too many fish. A tank that size is best suited to (examples):

A betta

Or

3-5 Endler guppies

Either with a few shrimp or snails.

Or

You might get away with a pea puffer and snails.

Neons, for example, should be in groups of at least six as they are schooling fish, and need a minimum of around 70 litres due to activity level.

What kind of pleco is it?

Looks like some Platy in there? They also need around 70l minimum.

Tiger barbs also need groups of at least six, and an even bigger tank, at least 90l, and can be aggressive nippers.

Is there black serpae tetra in there as well? They also need groups of at least six, are also nippers, and need at least 90l.

Are you sure it's only 20l?
It looks bigger... if so, there are more stocking options available, however, the fish you have in there now should be upgraded/rehomed.

Pretty tank though :)

Definitely way too many fish. A tank that size is best suited to (examples):

A betta

Or

3-5 Endler guppies

Either with a few shrimp or snails.

Or

You might get away with a pea puffer and snails.

Neons, for example, should be in groups of at least six as they are schooling fish, and need a minimum of around 70 litres due to activity level.

What kind of pleco is it?

Looks like some Platy in there? They also need around 70l minimum.

Tiger barbs also need groups of at least six, and an even bigger tank, at least 90l, and can be aggressive nippers.

Is there black serpae tetra in there as well? They also need groups of at least six, are also nippers, and need at least 90l.

Are you sure it's only 20l?
It looks bigger... if so, there are more stocking options available, however, the fish you have in there now should be upgraded/rehomed.

Pretty tank though :)

Okay well I was looking at upgrading my tank anyway, it may be a 32L I couldn't find the exact measurements, so I googled the tank I have haha, I have 2 albeino barbs, two rose barns and a green barb as a group, the two black phantom tetra that I have, have always been very calm especially with my smaller fish, guess I thought because the fish are healthy and seem so get on so well in the tank, that although over populated they were ok, I'll definitely look into upgrading the tank, it's a common Pleco, only brought him about 4 weeks ago but he seems to be thriving. Thankyou for your advice. IMG_1897.jpg

I did math.
It hurt :( lol

I think your tank is actually actually closer to 40l? If so your options open up a bit more.

You could get a divider and put two betta in there (although it's quite tall so you may not wish to do that). I'd recommend shorter finned kinds for the height.

Or you could get two or three African dwarf frogs.

Two or three (must be M/F/F or all female) if you want to try a heavily planted look.

Six clown killifish (3M/3F)

Six endler guppy (all male unless you want to start a breeding tank also)

Six ember tetra

If you do one of those last three you could add a one sparkling gourami as a centrepiece fish.

You could add shrimp or snails with any of these (maybe not the betta or puffer).

This is all assuming you want to change your tank around, of course.

I did math.
It hurt :( lol

I think your tank is actually actually closer to 40l? If so your options open up a bit more.

You could get a divider and put two betta in there (although it's quite tall so you may not wish to do that). I'd recommend shorter finned kinds for the height.

Or you could get two or three African dwarf frogs.

Two or three (must be M/F/F or all female) if you want to try a heavily planted look.

Six clown killifish (3M/3F)

Six endler guppy (all male unless you want to start a breeding tank also)

Six ember tetra

If you do one of those last three you could add a one sparkling gourami as a centrepiece fish.

You could add shrimp or snails with any of these (maybe not the betta or puffer).

This is all assuming you want to change your tank around, of course.

I'm going to have to really look into this as I can't bare to rehome my fish haha, bigger tank it is! I could never get rid of the ones I've got even if they are naughty and keep ripping my live plants to bits.

Good news... that's not a common pleco.
I say good, because commons can reach two feet in length.

He's pretty though :)

I'd be tempted to say he's a snowball... if he is, and you paid common price for him, you got a heck of a bargain :)

Ah see, if you're going to get a new tank, then you have this tank to put more fish in.

Multiple tank syndrome is real... lol

I started out with one and now have seven on the go... oops.

One thing is clear... you've had this tank a good while now, and all the fish are in decent shape...
You must take exquisite care of the tank to keep so many fish in a healthy state.

I reckon you could easily handle another two or three.
Tanks, that is ;)

Ah see, if you're going to get a new tank, then you have this tank to put more fish in.

Multiple tank syndrome is real... lol

I started out with one and now have seven on the go... oops.

One thing is clear... you've had this tank a good while now, and all the fish are in decent shape...
You must take exquisite care of the tank to keep so many fish in a healthy state.

I reckon you could easily handle another two or three.
Tanks, that is ;)

Yeah I'm definitely a crazy fish lady even if I only have a tiny tank, to be honest I think my pleco may be a bristlenose. Yeah I've fallen really lucky with this tank and the fish as they've always stayed healthy, I do have another tank downstairs that's a little smaller, I moved my pregnant black molly into there as a breeding tank a couple of weeks ago and moved all the fish apart from her and another female into there for now.

Back
Top Bottom