Over stocked tank???????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lauraw119

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been on another site and they told ne my tank is well over stocked!my tank looks empty to me any way I have already had some good friendly helpful advice from here and would like opinions please
I have 90 litre with 5 zebra danios 11 rummy noses3 neons 3 phantoms 1 peppered cory 1red tail blk shark

The filter is fluval u3 Hesok he has his own wee hidy hole keeps himself Yo himself most of the time unless it's feeding time then it's a different story

90L is about 24 US gallons. I would say you're overstocked with that filter and that stock list, but I could be wrong. What are your water parameters? I use a combination of the water parameters and a visual inspection of the tank to determine stocking levels. If the nitrates get beyond 20ppm over the course of a week, any ammonia or nitrites show up, or the fish look crowded means the tank is overstocked.

I'd upgrade the filter for sure. Manufacturers overrate their filters. Take the rating and cut it in half to get a real-world filter rating. I use an AC70 HOB on my 29g.

All my readings are ok ph 7 ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 0-2
Not had any problems until I added new danios now my phantoms have ich 

raise temp for ich.stocking wise it would be a little crowded when they all grow to full size. And yes add more filtration.

This is what I do...If I buy a 20 gallon tank that comes with a filter...I either throw that filter on a 10 gallon or buy another one to put on the 20 gallon. I am big in over filtering. I rigged my 5 gallon to have the filter that came on the 20 I bought...Works great :D I had 5 Neons and a cardinal tetra in it with 2 cories. I probably could have added more fish...
If they are non agressive fish you can over stock with good filtration but with danios I wouldn't do that. I wouldn't mix danios with neons or phantoms...

Welcome to AA, Laura.

I think your biggest problem is the shark. It gets more aggressive with age and that is a rather small tank for it.

The rest is certainly on the heavy side of stocking for a 24 gallon, but if you keep up on water changes you will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom