Overactive Fishy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rach101

Aquarium Advice Addict
My catfish (( i think its either a bronze cory or a brochis splendens )) races around really fast, cools off then does it again. Sometimes he really fast goes up to the top of the tank then back down. I was told that they arent that active during the day so i was just wondering if its normal.

If he just occasionally does this racing to the surface thing, that is normal - they have an organ that helps them get oxygen in their stomachs (I believe that is it) so they will take a gulp of air from time to time.

If he is doing this a lot it is a good indication that there may be problems with water quality in the tank, with filter flow or other issues impacting poor dissolved oxygen in the water. Check your water params and be sure there is adequate filtration, and that you are not overstocked.

Sometimes mine will race back and forth along the front of the tank then zips up to the top for a gulp of air. I don't know why they do this. Maybe they just feel like "running"

Water parameters, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and PH readings?
Tank size
Type of filtration
How many fish
What types of fish
How big are fish
Answer these questions for a better answer...
But this is pretty normal activity in general...

Tank size = Ten gallons
Type of filtration =..err... its a hangon back filter..
How many fish = 10,1 frog
What types of fish = Two black mollies, two sunset somethings.. two swordtails, two black widow tetras. 1 african dwarf frog.. and i just got one more catfish for him
How big are fish = the mollies are about an inch not counting their tails. Same with the tetras and sword tails.. the frog and sunsets are about a half inch apeice.
ph is 7.0

By the way, since i got him a new friend (( Another catfish, same species )) Hes calmed down quite a bit.

Tank size = Ten gallons
Type of filtration =..err... its a hangon back filter..
How many fish = 10,1 frog
What types of fish = Two black mollies, two sunset somethings.. two swordtails, two black widow tetras. 1 african dwarf frog.. and i just got one more catfish for him
How big are fish = the mollies are about an inch not counting their tails. Same with the tetras and sword tails.. the frog and sunsets are about a half inch apeice.
ph is 7.0

OK, most of these fish can and will get 1-3" larger.
Right now your running about 12" of fish in your 10gal, when they are adults you'll have closer to 20" of fish 8O .
Thats alot for a 10gal but do'able with heavy filtration and close attention to PWC's and water chemistry.
Upgrading your tank to a 20 or larger would be really nice for you and your fish...

You have a HOB power filter,cool, what size it (GPH), you'll be needing atleast 10x turnover (minimum) preferably 20x with your heavy bio-load.

Do you have water chemistry test kits, it appears you already have PH? If not you "Absolutely" need them!
You'll need, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and *GH&*KH (*not a must).

Getting the second Cory was good but they do even better in shoals of 6+, but you currently are maxed out biologically IMHO.

A heavy bioload might be making the tank low on oxygen, and that is signaled by the cory dashing to the surface a lot. Something to consider.

Im getting two new tanks. one for valentines day, and one for my birthday in april. I keep trying to get my mom to allow me to buy testers but she wont let me at all. I got the ph cause i raided my science class.. she says that fish are hardier then i think. Ive been giving 10% conditioned water changes everyday to try to keep the levels low but i dont know if its low or not..

You need to have your mother do "Her" research, just as you are doing :D . Try to print out all the articles relating to water chemistry and testing, show her how even minor changes can negatively impact fish.
Remind her that when we take one of God's creatures into our care, we should "CARE" for it!!! To the best of our abilities...
Your doing awesome, keep up the great work! :wink:

My cory albino does that too. We call him the crazy driver. He even bumps into other fish, but is not deterred by that. He has phases where he is totally calm on the bottom and then he just flipps out, just like that

Mine does the exact same thing. He'll sit about the bottom, amost absolutely motionless, and then will dash up to the surface really quickly. Sometimes, he swims right along the top of the aquarium, kind of making a wave behind him. He runs into fish all the time, neither of them seem to care. He's one of my favorite fish to watch.

Mom isnt particularly religious.... In any case I earned about 7 dollars.. ontop of 25 dollars of left over christmass money so i should be good to buy it on my own.. hopefully x.x

Back
Top Bottom