Overcoming test kit frustrations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
TomK2 said:
just dip the well cleaned tube in the tank to fill it to the line.

Well, you can still achieve the "mad scientist" look with that set-up Tom! Just add the lab coat and a sterno (maybe a large beaker too). Your DIY box is just right for that kind of thing. LOL

Tomk's post reminded me of this question : is 'well rinsed' filled, shaken, emptied two or three times sufficient?

Probably if done 3 times, anything less I would worry about. Personally I am a little crazy about the cleanliness thing--perhaps because I am one of those who just takes the test tube and dunks it in the aquarium to get the water. But I rinse out tube (and cap) about 4-5 times each individuall, then I will fill the tube 1/3 of the way or so and shake and do that 2-3 times as well.

Oh, I also learned the hard way, rinse things out right away. I once kept a set of tubes sitting out overnight, and by morning one of the solutions (I forget which one) had permanently stained the glass in such a way I couldn't get it clean (i.e. clear) ever again, had to throw the tube out.

Good advice, JohnPaul, if you are going to put the test tube in the tank then it should be very thoroughly rinsed right after the results are read, and left out to dry.

I too am one who just dunks the tube in the tank, and have been doing so for many moons without any ill-effects, AFAIK. I like to hold my thumb over the tube and collect from down towards the bottom.

I've been filling the tubes with the flow from the an Eclipse system filter, so while the tube definitely could "contaminate" the water, at least I'm not dipping it right in the tank. I fall into the rinse-well-three-or-more-times group and then dry with a clean cloth.

I am sure I will be using the test kit less often now that my cycle is over and a small group (5) of glow-light tetras makes a happy home. I think my tank looks great now, BTW, with the driftwood, the lake Erie rocks, two spider plants, anubias and C. wendtii. Yes, I will continue to test to watch for mini cycles and as new inhabitants get added. I do not plan to add much more. Light bio loads=healthy system=happier fish.

Thanks for everyones help.
Ben

I also fall into the "dip water directly from the tank" category. It gets somewhat frustrating when you fill it up and the water is slightly over the line, so you pour some out and it's below the line, then you fill back up and it's over the line and the cycle continues. The dropper would work better for me I guess. I'm not too good with filling to the correct spot. I also have noticed that the Ammonia also runs pretty quickly out of the dropper. I just thought maybe it was my test kit. We are in the process of a DIY holder, just can't get him to get off his butt and make one. The cardboard is getting flimsy.

After testing water I always rinse the tubes with hot water and let them dry upside down in the cardboard test kit. This way it doesn't come in contact with anything that could contaminate it.

You may also get other brand of test kits that have color chart you prefered..

B4 purchase, just open the box n look at the chart.

I found out JBL's test kit have better color scheme compare to others. Eg. the PO4 kit actually still works even the water is in green color as the chart need to have 2 sample to works (one with test solution another pure tank water).

HTH

JohnPaul said:
Oh, I also learned the hard way, rinse things out right away. I once kept a set of tubes sitting out overnight, and by morning one of the solutions (I forget which one) had permanently stained the glass in such a way I couldn't get it clean (i.e. clear) ever again, had to throw the tube out.

Most likely it was the Nitrite test. That blue really stains quickly.

I was wondering about the effects wood (specifically a wooden dowel) would have on results; would there be any residue left in a test tube if it sat upside down atop a wooden dowel?

I was considering this as an addon to the spade bit-holder-kit thing TomK's suggested. . . but wasn't sure about using wood. I could just place them in their holders and let them dry.

Is it worth this much concern? LoL!

I did find out last night that my wife (nurse) is able to 'obtain' a 10ml dropper from her work for me! :mrgreen:

I think if you sprayed the wooden dowels with an epoxy coating you would be good to go, and that is a great way to dry them.

cjw...the 10ml dropplers are great...and u have easy access to them...so give it a try...im a lab technician so i borrow a couple from the lab i work at every few months...hehe...they are cheap anyway...

I thoroughly rinse the test tubes when I'm done, but I also use one of the test tubes to put Dechlorinator in the tank. Mainly because the test tubes is all I have to measure 5ML with. The Dechlorinator is 10ML per 10 Gallons or something like that so I have to put 20ML in the tank when I do a PWC. I thoroughly rinse the test tube in tap water when I'm done adding the dechlorinator to the tank to be ready for the next test.

The dechlorinator comes in a squeeze bottle, so it's not easy to say "5 drops...is that equivalent to 5ML?"

Of course, this whole process defeats the mad scientist look....but I still use the goggles!

was wondering about the effects wood (specifically a wooden dowel) would have on results; would there be any residue left in a test tube if it sat upside down atop a wooden dowel?

That sounds cool! A drying rack!

Or, when drilling the holes with the spade bit, allow the tip of the spade bit to poke through the botttom of the wood. That little hole will let any water that drips down out. You will also have to ream out the 1/2 inch holes once or twice after you make it because the moisture will cause it to swell a little smaller. It won't swell much, but enough to make the tube fit a little too tight. Or see if you can find a 9/16 bit, or live with slightly wobbly tubes with a 5/8 hole.

My last test (GH) came with a tube cap that doesnt fit. :evil: I saved it , thinking I would eventually run into a tube that it does fit, but every now and then I just have to run the extra test tube so I use it for pH, since I don't think the chemicals are too nasty in that test. Of course, that means every now and then I mix it up with the others and get this wrong :|

The PA master kit's caps don't quite fit perfectly, so when I'm testing I tend to find a little liquid getting on my hands and the outside of the tubes. :mad:

The drying rack/tube holder thing sounds like a good project; perhaps I can get my wife's uncle/woodworker involved. :grin: It'd take a lot less time with the 'right tool for the job', I'd say.

So how often do you test your water's chem levels once the cycling process is complete, anyways? Once a week/month/when something weird happens?

So how often do you test your water's chem levels once the cycling process is complete, anyways? Once a week/month/when something weird happens?
pH and nitrate about once a week to ten days. No more ammonia or nitrite now that things are stable. If I add stock or have a suspicion, I might test for ammonia.

Cool, thanks again. . . in the meantime, I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need to test daily while waiting for my cycle to wrap up. :grin:

tankgirl you beat me to it. I too was going to say that converting the ml to tsp and tblsp has worked well for me. I have one measuring spoon that adjusts from 1tsp (5ml) to 1 tbspn (15ml) Works good. oh and I have trouble with the ammonia reading sometimes. I think the wall color in my house makes it look a little green but never fail... ...every week there I am running from one room to the other to outside and back again the whole time shouting: "is it green? Is that green I see?"

Hold the vial against a white piece of paper - that usually does it. Also, sometimes when I really doubt my eyes, I test the tap water and see what "true" negative reaction looks like and I am reassured.

that's a great idea, I have been looking at it on white paper (the cards) but the suggestion will be used. Thanks again

Now we only need a company can come out with a digital tester that test pH, NO, NO2, NO3, NH4 and PO4 for aquarium in one go :? :? :? :?

Back
Top Bottom