Overcrowding issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumrah

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently added 3 mollies to my 10g community planted tank. I had mistaken mollies for cories (both end in -ies)when i was at the LFS, and after a day of watching them, and reading about the mollies, i realized what a mistake i had made.

Tomorrow i'm going to take the mollies back, but just to double check...

I have a 10g planted fw with 6 neons and 1 pleco (plus mollies currently). Would 3 cories be a good addition to this tank? If so, any specific breed?

Thanks,
David

3 corys will put you at max capacity. You are right about the mollies. This week you have 3, next week you might have 60.

3 might be pushing it a bit. Keep an eye on the Pleco...they tend to get quite large rather quickly; unless you happen to have one of the dwarf variety, but it isn't a usual find in most lfs'. I would be wary of adding more than 2 of them but, as long as you take good care of the water parameters youll be able to squeeze by for a while. If your going to add the Cory cats you might think about selling the Pleco back to the lfs and keeping your bio-load at a respectable level.....when that pleco starts to get bigger he'll consume great amounts of food....as well as create large amounts of waste. The cories and pleco eat some crazy things, but they do not eat waste.

If your water parameters are very good, you could remove the pleco, add a couple of cories and a few ghost shrimp....those are rather interesting and they also tend to scavenge a bit. Also....depending on the cories you get, some of them can get rather "fat" as well. the bigger the fish, the bigger the impact on the tank. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom