Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-29-2003, 12:34 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

lyquid,

How do you keep your Ghost Shrimp from being eaten or alive for longer then a week for that matter.

Old 11-29-2003, 01:26 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
The fish that I have in here now don't mess with them. However, when I had them with my betta one commited suicide (jumped out of the bowl) the other was decapitated and the third buried himself under the gravel.

Regardless what the thing said- ghost shrimp are NOT tank mates with bettas =o)

Also, I have a 29 gal so maybe the space helps. I have seven and they have been going strong for a while now- three are bigger than some of my fish hehe. Ill try to post pix sometime

It just depends on the fish I guess.

lyquidphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 01:14 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Now here's one I can answer!!!

Overfeeding, even just one day, can affect ammonia levels, I think, especially if the tank is fairly new. I know that I was just getting the ammonia and nitrite levels to start coming down (Thursday night, my ammonia level dropped for the FIRST TIME!). On Friday, I was gone Christmas shopping all day, and left my daughter and 8 year old nephew with my husband. I left EXPLICIT instructions for feeding the fish, but my husband and my brother-in-law didn't bother to read them and just let the kids feed the fish.

When I did my water test on Saturday morning, there was a definite ammonia spike. I did a gravel vacuum and HOLY COW was there a lot of food and gunk in the gravel (I had just gravel vacuumed on Thursday, so I know the extra was from the kiddies). Today, I the ammonia had gone back down, but I had a nitrite spike. I finally got all the gravel cleaned out today!

No fish lost, but I imagine it doesn't take long for decayed food to cause ammonia build up.

Yup...fish food to be moved yet again so only I can feed them!
Old 12-01-2003, 06:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

LOL Time to lock up the fish food Kwenbee.

Just for future reference, fish won't starve if you don't feed em for a coupla days. Actually, they won't starve if you don't feed em for a week (although I wouldn't go longer). If the fambly is going to be doing the feeding, make daily feeding packets (those daily medication containers work great). Even if you want to let the kids feed em while your out, do a feeding packet.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 06:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh, you know how I mentioned my sister was coming Sat? Well, I put up the fish food because my fish were doing so much better. I come in my room and she has my net and is "catching fish." I was about to kick her *shakes head*

I think next time I'll just lock up my whole aquarium

Old 12-01-2003, 06:43 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oi! She is obsessed with your fish isn't she??

I'm tempted to suggest buying her her own betta tank for Xmas/Chanukah, but I'm afraid for the fish LOL Think she'd actually be willing to learn how to take care of fish properly? It might give her her OWN obsession, and she'd leave your guys alone (although she'd prob tell you what you were doing wrong once she learned )

Old 12-01-2003, 07:01 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

She just got a hampster named Butters and that is her new pet. I don't think with the living situation right now she would have a place to put a fish bowl (she has to put Butters' cage on the kitchen cabnent so the dog doesn't get it).

She does things with out thinking and to piss me off =o)
When I had my betta she never messed with it- maybe its because I have a big tank with lots of fish that is appealing.

Who knows!

Oh, and you are SO right about the telling me what im doing wrong part. She came over to help put up the Xmas tree (im having it at my apt this year) and Ive been putting up the tree since I was 7 all by myself and I have this system of doing things. And she comes over and is like "I got an idea how to do this" I was like "No, you have no idea because we are doing this my way" *snickers*

Old 12-01-2003, 07:02 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

HAHAHA I didn't know the site automatically "beeped" things HAHAHAHA

Old 12-02-2003, 09:51 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to webmoose
Does your sister have red hair? Braces? I think I saw her in a dentist office one time... (finding nemo)

8 Gallon hex - 3 F1 Black Brichardi and fry..("Lamprologus sp. Walter")

10 gallon work tank - Pair of dwarf gourami and 2 cherry barbs / 2 gallon - 4 Fundulopanchax gardneri / 10 gallon - bunch of killitanks

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
webmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 08:40 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bwaaaahahaha good one webmoose!

<--- Dory

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com