Overfeeding- truth or myth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If this tells you anything- you know on all the kids cartoons their is the bratty kid (Angelica from Rug Rats, DJ or whatever from Aurthor) those were my sisters FAVORITE characters *shakes head*

Well, just to add to this discussion....yes, I think overfeeding can rather quickly kill a fish.

We lost our black Molly today. He/she was fine until the overfeeding incident on Friday. I am so angry...we've kept all our guys alive for over a month, and ONE DAY I feel like I'm back to square one.

My ammonia levels are STILL at 2.0, even though they HAD dropped to 1.0 on Thursday. Now the nitrites are at 2.0 and they were at .25 on Thursday. I've done water changes, added salt, but I'm starting to worry we'll lose more.

The rest of the guys seem fine. I had noticed the molly hanging out at the top of the tank a lot and since Friday, she stopped eating (figured it was because she was so full!). Today, she was history.

The good thing about it is that I think it taught my daughter a valuable lesson. I told her that when she and her cousin overfed the fish, Molly probably got sick from too much food and just couldn't get better. She wanted to know why I didn't get her medicine like I did for Bill the Beta (ick), and I told her that there wasn't any medicine for fish who eat too much.

[sigh] Hopefully, Molly was an isolated incident.

Back
Top Bottom