Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-27-2003, 08:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
Overfeeding- truth or myth?

Ive always heard never feed your fish too much- which makes sense- you feed anything too much it gets sick.

I came home and several of my fish died. Now, Ive been having problems with my guppys dying and getting stuck in the filter (im not sure in what order either) but I came home and 3 of my rasboras died (which to me is odd because so many died in one night)

What im wondering is, my brat for a sister came to my apt to visit last nite and decided to feed my fish WAY too much- right after I fed them.

Is it possible they were over fed?

Old 11-27-2003, 09:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Enough to kill them? If you mean overeating, not likely, although overfeeding on a long term basis can cause early deaths. Overeating can cause constipation or swim bladder problems which can kill, but its not overnight.

However, overfeeding can cause problems with water parameters as the uneaten food rots in the tank, and high levels of ammonia and/or nitrites CAN kill them. If I remember, you don't have tests, so are unable to check the water parameters. As I suggested in the other post, do a water change tonite; at least 20% although more would be fine (just no more then 50%).

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 09:16 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You mentioned food rotting at the bottom of my tank- this is the 2nd time my sister has over fed my fish (she did it a week and a half ago) and I was so mad because there were all these pieces at the bottom of my tank but the next day they were gone. Is it possible my ghost shrimp ate all that?

lyquidphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 09:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Possible; how many do you have?

Its also possible the food broke down quickly and is in the small spaces in the substrate (hence the water change - and I should mention a gravel vac; water changes with fresh, treated temp matched pH are alway a good thing!).

Heh, and its time to lock up the fish food. How old is your sis?

Old 11-28-2003, 02:01 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have 7 ghost shrimp- three of which I believe have steriods hidden in one of the plants. (they are bigger than some of my smaller fish).

Between my cat and my sister I can't keep up with the fish food! She is 10 and she thinks she knows everything.

Old 11-28-2003, 11:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The shrimp likely ate some, but I doubt they at all the food. Do be sure to do a major gravel vac the next time you catch sis at the fish food; this way you can get some of that extra food out of the tank before it rots. And you have those mutant ghost shrimp too huh...so does Madame_X.

LOL be glad you're not me. My lil sister used to wait for me to catch the bus then steal my clothes LOL I could never figure out why all my favs clothes were always dirty when I never wore em!

Old 11-28-2003, 02:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

haha, I have so many horror stories about my sis- the fish food is just the tip of the iceberg =o)

Ill be sure to do that- she is coming over tomorrow so Im going to hide the food *nod*

If I can, Ill try to post some pix of my ghost shrimp because they are so big the camera can focas on them (my smaller ones the camera can't see).

Old 11-28-2003, 05:13 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also, even if the fishes DO eat the extra food given, there increase in “poo” can also affect the water conditions probably quicker than the rotting uneaten food.

If you know you sister is around maybe you should not feed them the day before ….
Old 11-28-2003, 07:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to Neuve Send a message via MSN to Neuve Send a message via Yahoo to Neuve
I want ghost shrimp
Old 11-29-2003, 12:22 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

*snickers* I could have a tank full of ghost shrimp and Id be happy =o)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com