Overheating lighting kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JRagg

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I installed a 2x13 W bright kit yesterday for my 10 gallon aquarium, and the thing is overheating. One of the lights turns itself off after about 5 hours of being on (thermally protected ballast). Are there any fairly simple ways to cool them? I know a small fan would probably do the trick, but I would need an AC fan to do that instead of the extra DC ones that I have from my computer building days.

Are these easy to come by? I've heard of other people installing them in larger lighting fixtures to keep them cool. Any Idea as to where I could find one?

JRagg said:
I installed a 2x13 W bright kit yesterday for my 10 gallon aquarium, and the thing is overheating. One of the lights turns itself off after about 5 hours of being on (thermally protected ballast). Are there any fairly simple ways to cool them? I know a small fan would probably do the trick, but I would need an AC fan to do that instead of the extra DC ones that I have from my computer building days.

Are these easy to come by? I've heard of other people installing them in larger lighting fixtures to keep them cool. Any Idea as to where I could find one?

Just find a spare AC=>DC adapter and hook the fan up to that.. you've gotta have one laying around that you dont use.

Back
Top Bottom