Overnight pH drop? 7.1 to 6.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesHitt74

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am a little baffled here. I keep a 10g in the house as well as a 120 long. I checked the pH before I went to bed at 10pm, was at 7.1 (tripple checked). At 6 this morning, it was 6.0 (tripple checked). hob aqua-tech #2 10-20gal. Fish are 1 pictus cat, 1 Ch. algae eater, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 1 Bristle nose plec, 1 Electric Yellow Af. Cichlid. Have had tank set up for 8 months. I do 1/4 water changes weekly. Did my KH drop out or what? I have done a 1/2 water change and adjusted to 7.2 using baking soda and treated water solution. Fish seem fine. No ammonia, and no nitrites. What took place here? Any advice is welcome.:banghead:

Just curious do you have driftwood or plants? Also pH can "swing" get a bucket and fill it. Test it and leave it over night then test again and see if it's stable. That's a good way to determine if it's a tank issue or a tap. I'm gonna guess and say it's the tap water. Maybe get a KH/GH test kit? Test alkalinity?

I'm still learning but this is something I had to do and found out my tap water was dropping overnight if left in a 5 gallon bucket. I use Malawi Buffer and crushed coral in a bio bag and have been stable since.

Someone with more knowledge will chime in I'm sure. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Back
Top Bottom