Overpopulation...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

d9hp

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just wondering, but what is the most overpopulated tank you guys have ever seen. My cousin's freind has a 55 gallon with 7 full grown oscars, and a LFS has about 200 goldfish in a 20 gallon tank, you cant see the back in either one and the oscars never move.

yeah I'm definately against the overpopulation thing. I've already made arrangements to sell off my larger fish once they become full grown, because I want them to have happy lives. I feel so sorry for the poor oscars.

I feel like a good samaritan. I arranged to take 3 oscars off this ladies hands, and of course she got all happy and gave them up right away, I threw them a big cooler, took them to the LFS and got $50.00 for it! They will sell them for like 40 a peice though.

Well I have to say I dont know how ethical getting the fish for free just to sell them for your benifit.

The lady who gave them to you might not have done such should she had known you was gonna sell them right away. Many times people get attached and feel that when they give stuff away they are giving it to a good home.

I've not seen any horribly overpopulated tanks myself, but 7 full grown oscars in a 55g tank is just nasty.

She recieved some of the money for the oscars, she knew what I was planning on doing with them. Can she put them into a pond? She will have to sell them all if not.

d9hp said:
She recieved some of the money for the oscars, she knew what I was planning on doing with them. Can she put them into a pond? She will have to sell them all if not.

Not unless the pond is heated, or she lives in the tropics.

d9hp said:
She recieved some of the money for the oscars, she knew what I was planning on doing with them.

It sounds like this person was pretty much ill-equipped to look after such fish in the first place and clearly hadn't done an ounce of research.
At least now I suppose the Oscar's will hopefully find a better home through the fish shop.

That sounds horrible.....7 large fish crammed into a 55....as Grant R said, hopefully they'll find a better home.

One of the worst cases of overcrowding I've ever seen, (besides the LFS's live feeder tanks), was in a magazine Practical Fishkeeping. A lady had something like 150 fish in a 55g. They were all small fish like tetras and cories, but still, the poor fish really didn't have any room to move around. In the article she stated that she lost all her previous fish due to some bad advice about an antibiotic treatment, but I'm sure that being so overcrowded was the real culprit.

Well, glad she gat a few bucks, but last time I cheked, we live in a capitalist society. Buy low, (or free) sell high. Not a single thing wrong with that.

Bl**dy Hell!

In the name of the goddess, What is it with some people!! I can't understand how people can do something that affects a living thing with such a frivolous attitude. I don't mean to be rude , but i personally did some serious research b4 i even bought the tank!! I constantly worry about overcrowding my tank, it's only been 3 months, and i'm already buying an upgrade!( and i'm keeping the old tank just in case.) If you cant look after what you already have, then you shouldn't get even more! I worked for the RSPCA for a short while, and i've adopted cats from old owners, i also have my name on a group called fishorphans , because i feel that all animals have a right to love and respect as much as humans, especially those that have been treated badly. Show some kindness !!! :cry:

I am not warm-hearted, but I don't enjoy seeing dogs sitting outside their whole lives not getting attention. There is nothing wrong with one outside, just not is a 2 foot by 2 foot pen. Fish are the same way, I had to buy a pleco to keep my 10 gallon clean and already arranged to trade him for a smaller one in 5 months unless i can go longer.

Back
Top Bottom