Overrated Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys,
I'm doing this thread on overrated fish. Mostly just a list of fish that I thought would be really cool but aren't anything special after owning them for a while. I will also be saying why I didn't like that fish or why I would never own one again in the future. But to counter this negativity I will be doing the opposite and listing fish I really wanted to get and would want to own more in the future. Feel free to add your overrated fish to the list!

Red Belly Pacu

After seeing videos of this massive fish I had wanted one for a long time. Once I got my 220 I thought I had a reasonable grow out tank so I got one. But after owning it for a while I'm not a huge fan. It's not very unique, it eats way too much!!! (mine is still a juvenile.) and it can be skittish. For me Pacus are a one time thing. And I don't think I would ever get one again.

You re prob looking for more exotic stories but here s mine.... I m currently (slowly) getting my 50g stocked, have 12 Platys & 1 confused Penquin Tetra ( the other 5 died :( ). So went to the LFS & got 4 Sterbai & 3 Oto s. They recommended that I get a Rubberlip Plecoptera as well. He slammed into one of my Cories & it died the next day. He plows into the other fish all the time, plan to return him this weekend.

You re prob looking for more exotic stories but here s mine.... I m currently (slowly) getting my 50g stocked, have 12 Platys & 1 confused Penquin Tetra ( the other 5 died :( ). So went to the LFS & got 4 Sterbai & 3 Oto s. They recommended that I get a Rubberlip Plecoptera as well. He slammed into one of my Cories & it died the next day. He plows into the other fish all the time, plan to return him this weekend.

My rubber lipped pleco is a maniac too! I'll keep him but not sure I'd get another.

Clown Plecos. They look so cool in the bag before you add them into your tank and then you never see them again (Rare sightings excluded).

For me it would prolly be plain guppies. I was given two in a 10 gallon as my first fish. They breed so fast and so often it was a pain. I was in way over my head in jsut a few months becuase there were so many. Then they started getting mutations and like having crocked spines. It was so weird. I had nothing to do with them and never had fish before so the tank just kept getting mroe and more. I even had nightmares about them all jumping out of the tanks and attacking me at one point lol. Part of it was due to inexperience but I never want such fast breeders again.

For me it would prolly be plain guppies. I was given two in a 10 gallon as my first fish. They breed so fast and so often it was a pain. I was in way over my head in jsut a few months becuase there were so many. Then they started getting mutations and like having crocked spines. It was so weird. I had nothing to do with them and never had fish before so the tank just kept getting mroe and more. I even had nightmares about them all jumping out of the tanks and attacking me at one point lol. Part of it was due to inexperience but I never want such fast breeders again.

I'm a fan of guppies but when I add them to a 37 gallon tank they just didnt do it for me. Mabe a 10 gal but they're just not all that great

Guppies drove me nuts too and I only had males... Maybe the hybrids would be more enjoyable for the eyes, I dunno. Funny about the dreams, I've been there.

I wasn't a fan of guppies until I found this monster. She is bigger than all my female bettas.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130205_232404.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130205_232404.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 133
For me White Cloud minnows are overrated. I guess they're pretty. But they just kind of hang around and don't have any interesting behaviors, to me anyway. They sorta just take up space.

:D You guys are crazy! I have three male guppies and they are great. I call them my happy puppies. They are all over the place and keep the rest of the fish moving. I'm not to crazy about my platys though, one female and one male is differently not working. I think my favorite is my balloon belly molly. She's the boss of the tank and looks funny hovering/wobbling.

kribs are overrated. i've had a few. kind of a drab looking fish. Hid all the time and chased away anything that came near. wasn't really an exciting addition to my tank.

:D You guys are crazy! I have three male guppies and they are great. I call them my happy puppies. They are all over the place and keep the rest of the fish moving. I'm not to crazy about my platys though, one female and one male is differently not working. I think my favorite is my balloon belly molly. She's the boss of the tank and looks funny hovering/wobbling.

Male guppies are definitely much more entertaining than the females. And I agree about the balloon mollies, freakin awesome to watch them waddle!

Serpae tertras IMO are overrated. All they do is randomly dart around. Also bn plecos are kinda boring IMO

I agree about the serpaes and I would include black skirts with that. They were more aggressive than I anticipated. My albino bn pleco is fun to watch, that guy is all over my 29 community.

Male guppies are definitely much more entertaining than the females. And I agree about the balloon mollies, freakin awesome to watch them waddle!

I agree about the serpaes and I would include black skirts with that. They were more aggressive than I anticipated. My albino bn pleco is fun to watch, that guy is all over my 29 community.

Yeah I wish my albino pleco wasn't as boring as he is.

Clown Plecos. They look so cool in the bag before you add them into your tank and then you never see them again (Rare sightings excluded).

Yah but they're still wicked awesome

Banjo catfish. Lol I feel bad about saying that cuz i live him but I actually have to dig in the sand every couple of weeks to find him and make sure he's alive. He NEVER comes out from under the sand:(

Yeah I wish my albino pleco wasn't as boring as he is.

I have three serpae tetras with a small school of bloodeye tetras. The bloodeyes are absolutely great to have, so fun to watch. The serpaes on the other hand are boring..they hide behind things and hang around the corners of the tank. They dont chance eachother around like the bloodeye tetras do. I also havent seen any aggressive behavior from them like people said i would because they are only in a school of 3.

A few fish that I would get again that I currently own

Senegal Bichir- Awesome looking fish with an awesome attitude and growth rate.
Silver Dollar- Adds movement to the tank and a good schooling fish.
Blood Parrots- Add color and are pretty docile so they can be in an appropriate community tank.

Back
Top Bottom