Overrun with snails :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
OK so I have a massive snail problem in my 110L tank, I literally have about 100 of the things :(

My tank is planted with 4 guppies (still small) 8 various corys, and 4 ottos and 6 assassin snails.

I've not been home properly for a few days as I've had family issues but came home yesterday and did a big clean out as the tank was a bit grubby with alge.

However my biggest problem is what I think is poop on the sand (it may be some form of algea but it looks poop like) I removed 80% of the water using my gravel vac sucking up as much as I could but there is a layer of tiny bits I cannot get rid of. I think is from the ton of baby snails, mid size snails and large snails I have. My assassins are doing their best but I was wondering if anyone had any advice?
I took all the decorations out yesterday and scrubbed them under boiling water to try and destroy any egg sacks (loosing an assassin that hid well from me) but I'm fed up with the tank looking dirty, could I need to replace the filter cartridge? I've given it a good rinsing in tank water?
I would even contemplating adding a snail eating fish if need be :(

Your assassins can basically only consume 1 or 2 pest snails (depends on size) over a 2-3 day period. They eat, then they digest for a few days, and so on. With that many pests, you need to help your assassins by hand removing the pest snails.

Have you figured out why you have so many? Are you overfeeding?

phoenixkiller said:
If you have time to go to your LFS, see if you can find a loach that eats snails....

Getting a fish to solve a problem is never the answer. It's better to eliminate the problem's cause. If a loach was added to the tank it would most likely over stock it and cause aggression issues. Loaches need groups of 4... In this case, the cause is most likely over feeding. So my advice is to feed less, and let the assassins do their thing.

You can't just pop a loach into any tank. You have to have room for a school of them. Also, the OP already has assassin snails, corys and otos. That's a lot of bottom dwellers.

Thanks I really don't want a loach sorry, I've cut right down on the feeding but guppies look so sad without food lol!

Does it look like I have an alge problem or is it poop??

Can't tell. Do you do gravel vacs?

Don't let those guppies fool you. All fish will eat as much as you're willing to feed them. My tanks are all happy and healthy and, as I said earlier, I feed every other day.

Yeah I use a battery powered vac, it's got real good suction but I can't seem to get the real fine stuff up off the sand :(

Oh, that's sand? Sorry about that...... Is there any way you get just get a real water changer? Excess waste and detritus will lead to an ammonia spike, if you're not careful.

Sorry what do u mean by a real water changer? I use the gravel vac as a syphon to empty the water out with as much gunk as possible.

That's what I was thinking but my tank isn't big enough to justify a python and I quite like carrying my buckets back and forth!! :)

Sorry what do u mean by a real water changer? I use the gravel vac as a syphon to empty the water out with as much gunk as possible.

You indicated you're not getting good suction with your battery powered syphon. I suggested a "real" syphon that attaches to the sink allowing you the suction you need to clean your tank properly. :)

I use a product called HAD-A-SNAIL its made by AP aquarium products and it works great . add one drop per gall. of water then wait 3 days and do a 50% water change and retreat if nessary with another 50% water change in 3 days . good luck!

Thanks guys, cheers Lynda I thought that was what you meant.
I can't use that product it would kill my assassins too :-(

As for the stuff on te bottom it looks like alge as its over the plants too!!

Thanks guys, cheers Lynda I thought that was what you meant.
I can't use that product it would kill my assassins too :-(

As for the stuff on te bottom it looks like alge as its over the plants too!!
Do you have another tank? if so, you may be able to move the majority of the assassin snails to the other tank while you begin treatment.

Keep in mind that any assassin snail young would be hiding beneath the substrate. It might not be a viable option.

I'd rather not use chemicals to kill them, I worry it would upset the balance in my tank. I may do a blackout and hopefully all the alge will disperse and my assassins will go on a spree! I only have 6 now as one of them hid on my decoration and ended up being soaked in boiling water :( I felt awful!

Oh yes, would shrimps help with catching any left over waste?? I'm really fancying some rcs, but not sure of they would get on with my corys??

Back
Top Bottom