Oversize Pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cart.Poe said:
I have a 10 gallon planted that is my favorite of all my tanks. It is stocked with a happy, healthy community of 2 dalmation mollies 1 Mickey mouse platy 1 guppy and 3 Stein Cory cats it is planted with about 8 stem plants and there is also a Crypt in there. I use no Ferts or C02 injections, I also use no filter media in my hang on back filter but I keep it on to create current. I do not vaccum at all and do no water tests etc. What im getting at is that it is a very well thought out, healthy old tank. i would not recomend this until you are sure you have a stable ecology in your tank. As long as you are smart about a plant to fish ratio and let the ecology build slow, you can have a lot of life in your little tank.

Btw, how do you use no media for your Hob filter? Just curious? Do you put rock in it of some sort? That's interesting. Somebody told me once to fill mine with volcanic rock of some sort but I'm afraid to do it! :)

I simply use no pads or media or anything of any kind :) the filter is empty and on simply to create current :) and my mollies love my 10 gallon, I have put them in my bigger tanks but they honestly don't seem to do as well!

But I do agree u surely need a bigger tank which obviously u are working on :)

Common Plecos can reach huge sizes of 18 inches or more. You are much better off getting a bristlenose for a smaller tank. They stay small, yet do a great job at cleaning, have a smaller bio load AND are much more fun to watch! Keeping them in a small tank will stunt their growth and lead to problems. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(
Heres a link.
Common Pleco

Cart.Poe said:
She knows she needs a bigger tank.

I was simply agreeing as well as providing some background on the fish in question as a reference . With this thread all over the place, facts can get distracted.

Lol I know they are always so random. I was just trying to point you in the right direction.

Cart.Poe said:
Lol I know they are always so random. I was just trying to point you in the right direction.

What direction is that? I was responding to the op with facts on the recommended housing and care for the Pleco in question as well as a suggestion for what might be a better choice for the Op s setup.

if u feed him half a pea every now and again that should help his white poop fish often do stringy poos when they are constipated or missing something in their diet and most plecs love peas. if it you think hes getting too big though it may be time to move him a friend of mine had a plec that was over 18 inches long and ate non stop.

Any opinions on a super red pleco? Is 10g too small still? Should I just get snails? I am planning to upgrade to a 20g within the next month but maybe I should wait until then for any pleco investments.

Any opinions on a super red pleco? Is 10g too small still? Should I just get snails? I am planning to upgrade to a 20g within the next month but maybe I should wait until then for any pleco investments.

I don't know of a super red pleco, but IMO a ten gallon is too small for any size pleco.

Back
Top Bottom