Overstock tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

briemol12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone,
I really want to know if my tank is overstocked? At the moment I have:
10 neon tetras
1 Cory catfish
2 mollies
1 dwarf gourami
It's a 20 gallon tank.

I feel like I am but at the same time my tank looks so empty.
Would like you feedback.
Thanks
-Bri

Well, I'd say it's not overstocked--YET. But the mollies can get 3-4" at maturity, and then you WILL be overstocked. I wouldn't advise putting mollies in a 20 gallon, in any case. Just not big enough for them. The dwarf Gourami is probably alright, depending on how big it will get, but I think most dwarves don't get over 2." How big is the cory? They can be anywhere from 1" to over 3" at maturity. I don't see a problem with your stocking except for the mollies, as I said. You could replace those with Peacock Gudgeons or a variety of fish, really. Anything that doesn't get over 2" at maturity and will match your water parameters and the fish you currently have.

I think it's fine, you may need a bigger tank as the fish get bigger, neon's live for around 5 to 8 years in good conditions, and by then, believe me, you will want one.......probably before.........

Well, I'd say it's not overstocked--YET. But the mollies can get 3-4" at maturity, and then you WILL be overstocked. I wouldn't advise putting mollies in a 20 gallon, in any case. Just not big enough for them. The dwarf Gourami is probably alright, depending on how big it will get, but I think most dwarves don't get over 2." How big is the cory? They can be anywhere from 1" to over 3" at maturity. I don't see a problem with your stocking except for the mollies, as I said. You could replace those with Peacock Gudgeons or a variety of fish, really. Anything that doesn't get over 2" at maturity and will match your water parameters and the fish you currently have.

the mollies were a gift from my mom friend who has a giant fish tank at her house, and let me tell you they are the happiest fish in the tank. They are entertaining to watch and they eat from my hand it's adorable. And my Cory is probably 1 he is the small and loves to swim all over the place. I really want to change my dwarf gourami because he is not active. I just made a post about his behavior. Other then that I really would love to change him. I like active fish.

I think it's fine, you may need a bigger tank as the fish get bigger, neon's live for around 5 to 8 years in good conditions, and by then, believe me, you will want one.......probably before.........

I love my neon tetras that's why I decided to do a big group and they all get along. But yeah I will eventually get a bigger tank.

The dwarf gouramis can have weird personalities sometimes. I personally much prefer the Honeys. They are lots more personable, and not as skittish. Mollies are very sweet and tame. I like them a lot, and I'm glad to hear that you'll upgrade once they get bigger. You really do need more than 1 cory though! Cories really prefer to be in groups. In fact, they can even die from stress if they're kept alone or in too few numbers. Most cories prefer groups of 6 or more. So if you did that, you'd definitely be overstocked. In any case, I wouldn't keep that cory alone, though.

The dwarf gouramis can have weird personalities sometimes. I personally much prefer the Honeys. They are lots more personable, and not as skittish. Mollies are very sweet and tame. I like them a lot, and I'm glad to hear that you'll upgrade once they get bigger. You really do need more than 1 cory though! Cories really prefer to be in groups. In fact, they can even die from stress if they're kept alone or in too few numbers. Most cories prefer groups of 6 or more. So if you did that, you'd definitely be overstocked. In any case, I wouldn't keep that cory alone, though.

I had 2 Corys but one die unfortunately. I been looking for the same type of Cory but haven't able to find. But still looking. Thanks for the advice

Back
Top Bottom