Overstocked 10gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

William

Aquarium Advice Addict
Since I've had a massive dieoff of my betta's, The show pieces and the main fish in 2 of my 10gals are gone now.

The remaining fish are not infected, and of course I'll give it time before I actually do what I'm thinking about just so I don't risk any type of exposure [ Even tho I'm 99.99% certain the bug, whatever it was, attacked betta's specificly ]

Anyways, I have two 10gals.

One is heavily planted, sand substrate with a Gold Inca Snail, Red Claw Crab, Banjo cat and 2 ottos.

The second is no plants, 3 Albino Cories and 2 zebra danios.

I was contemplating movingthe Cories and Danios, into the Banjo's tank,

But I was wondering if that would push the bio-limit.
the tank does not run a bio-wheel filter, however I've been contemplating buying one, if for no other reason than to add the two tanks together.

Right now all it runs is a bubble filter.

So, do you think adding these 5 small fish would be overloading the biocapacity?

I wouldn't try..
for surface area more so than bioload and your ability to keep ahead of it.
I think it would crowd it where the crab could easier get snippin distances to one group or the other. And the banjo will outgrow it all by himself eventually(as you should know)
and definitely it would need stepped up filtration

Well, as it stands right now [ Or should I say, how it did stand when it had the betta's in there as well ] My readings were all zero.

Thats what got me to thinking about merging the two tanks.

And the Crab dosn't bother anything, Trust me... The Banjo cat would be dead now if the crab had any interest in killing the fish, Cause the Banjo just lays there like a stone. He's even had the snail roll over him, and the crab stand ON him and not flinch.

and I am aware of the Banjo's growth, but hes a baby right now.. only about 4 inches, maybe 5. If he were a major swimmer I'd be inclined to say the tank is to small, but all he does is act like a rock and barely move.

Not that I'm experienced. But it seems often that crowding brings out aggression.
You might end up with a couple of mad otos on your hands and there's no telling what they might do!

BTW would the crab get along with the cories?

Hmm, that is a close one. Don't tell anyone, but i have 15 fish in my tank. Four lemon tetras, five red glowlight tetras, five rasbora hets, and an algae eater. And it is only seven gallons. It is a beautiful tank and is heavily planted. The rasboras are babies and will often play/chase the other fish, lemon tetras especially. They all get along great, so i would play your situation like mine. I put compatible fish in and they get along. The real issue for you is, IMO, the aggression, not the bioload. Worst case, ammonia goes up a couple ppm and you by a better filter.

Back
Top Bottom