Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VivaDaWolf

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Not sure if I am, or close to it. This is a 72g (less because I dont have it filled to the top). Wondering how much room I have to work with still for fish.

6 Glowlight tetras- wanting to increase to 10

6-8 Guppies- not sure what the exact count is but I dont want that many forever. Family decided to purchase more males against my wishes...and I only have 1 female. I've got a few fry that will hopefully be females, and rehome some excess males

3 Giant danio- 1 was a survivor from cycling and I couldnt find anybody to take it for free because they are rather fast for my tank... added 2 more so she wouldnt be completely alone until I can find people interested, or I might just keep then because I love danios.

1 ABN Pleco- hoping for a m/f pair eventually

3 Ghost catfish- store person netted me one while I was buying the tetras, didn't notice :( bought 2 more to keep it company for now and they are super active and not shy at all. Ill up the number if possible, but they are pricey as well.

7 cories- 5 trilineatus, 1 peppered and 1 albino aeneus because their companions didn't live and I dont want any more of them :\

1 bamboo shrimp
2 amano shrimp
2-3 ghost shrimp
2? cherry shrimp- Ill be tossing my culls from another tank in there

4 bettas- planning on a 5-6 group sorority

6 fry- theyve been living okay in the plants, I dont do any special care for them.

--

My want list,
2-3 Apistos..or enough to get a m/f pair. If I can't get the species I want, then the same amount of GBRs
Another school of some tetra maybe, I have mostly slender shaped fish- so thinking of a larger chunkier body group like skirts.
Group of otos- having a lot of diatoms on my smaller stem plants, the pleco sucks on the swords but not the small plants. If MTS can do a perfectly fine job, then no otos.
Malaysian trumpet snails
Another school of cories like a panda, Ive got trilineatus right now.
More zebra danios, they too are really fast like the giants but they didnt seem to bother fish when I had them. Thoughts of them? Found several fry after they died but I think they all got eaten.
Rainbow fish, the smaller guys like threadins, blue-eyes.

The tank params are 0/0/around 20-40 once I do a pwc. pH around 6.8-7. Temp is 82-84 but Ive been trying to get to 86 because I keep seeing ick on a few fish. Its only 1 or 2 white spots on maybe 1 or 2 fish here and there, never full blown but they have not gone away with the temp increase from 78f and aq. salt. Hesitating on actual meds because of inverts/catfish and recycling.

From a glance that doesn't look close to overstock. None of those get too big or have large bioloads other than the BN. I'm not sure how stocking with bettas go so hopefully someone else will know.

It doesn't looked to overstocked to me but i wouldn't do the bettas. Female bettas can be just as aggressive as males. But again it all depends on the betta. TheFishBoss97 is selling right now if you are interested. I regards to the apistos and gbrs, i would like to see how this turns out. I want to do a 55 with these two as well. I have read that as long as they have enough space to establish their territories they will be fine. I have also heard that they are less aggressive when in larger groups so u may want to take that into account

I do love bettas, I wanted a centerpiece male originally but with the guppies I wasnt sure. I have 3 females in there right now, and one young male- my mistake, I purchased it thinking it was a female but its a plakat. So Im going to remove him. The male has been flaring at the girls and they all chase each other, but leaves the guppies alone too. He'll be taken out once I grab another setup soon.

The females so far, haven't caused trouble- despite the male guppies being annoying to them, they mostly flare at their own betta kin. Ill keep an eye out though certainly. Do I HAVE to keep 4+? I feel like 2 in a large tank, they have enough room to avoid each other.

For some other fish ideas, options that I am thinking of:

Small group of neons/cardinals/pristellas/harlequin rasboras, not sure which
White skirt tetras/diamond tetra (darker/black coloured fish don't stand out at all in my tank it seems, black substrate and background)
Roselines
Group of danios, zebra/pearl/blue/gold etc.
Hatchetfish, to use top space.

Any opinions of any of those species?

Could I mix rams PLUS apistos? I have a lot of bottom dwellers it seems, not sure if it will bother them.

VivaDaWolf said:
I do love bettas, I wanted a centerpiece male originally but with the guppies I wasnt sure. I have 3 females in there right now, and one young male- my mistake, I purchased it thinking it was a female but its a plakat. So Im going to remove him. The male has been flaring at the girls and they all chase each other, but leaves the guppies alone too. He'll be taken out once I grab another setup soon.

The females so far, haven't caused trouble- despite the male guppies being annoying to them, they mostly flare at their own betta kin. Ill keep an eye out though certainly. Do I HAVE to keep 4+? I feel like 2 in a large tank, they have enough room to avoid each other.

For some other fish ideas, options that I am thinking of:

Small group of neons/cardinals/pristellas/harlequin rasboras, not sure which
White skirt tetras/diamond tetra (darker/black coloured fish don't stand out at all in my tank it seems, black substrate and background)
Roselines
Group of danios, zebra/pearl/blue/gold etc.
Hatchetfish, to use top space.

Any opinions of any of those species?

Could I mix rams PLUS apistos? I have a lot of bottom dwellers it seems, not sure if it will bother them.

I wouldn't do bettas and rams and apistos. you could do apistos and rams though. Maybe even some angelfish along with the rams and apistos

Back
Top Bottom