Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alec18

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a 20 gallon tank and I think I reached my limit, I have 12 fish and two frogs. Is that too many?

Most likely but depends on what sort of fish

Depends on the size of the fish. The rule is one inch per gallon.

The inch per gallon rule rarely ever works. What king of fish are they?

Two dwarf puffers, two bumble bee gobies, two black mollies, Kuhli loach, chinese algae eater, green tiger barb, silver tetra, fancy tailed guppy, sunburst platy and two dwarf African Clawed frogs

Two dwarf puffers, two bumble bee gobies, two black mollies, Kuhli loach, chinese algae eater, green tiger barb, silver tetra, fancy tailed guppy, sunburst platy and two dwarf African Clawed frogs

A. Chinese Algae Eaters tend to get big fast and chase and eat the slime coat off slower fish.

B. do you have African Dwarf Frogs (ADF) or Clawed Frogs?? Clawed Frogs get big, eat fish and are messy AFAIK.

C. Barbs and Tetras are not best as single fish. They are much better kept in groups of at least 6.
Same for Loaches and most small fish. Puffers are territorial not a schooling fish. Most peaceful fish are social.

Mollies can become bullies. Watch them.

I don't think you are overstocked, but you may want to rethink the fish you have. I'd return the CAE.

A. Chinese Algae Eaters tend to get big fast and chase and eat the slime coat off slower fish.

B. do you have African Dwarf Frogs (ADF) or Clawed Frogs?? Clawed Frogs get big, eat fish and are messy AFAIK.

C. Barbs and Tetras are not best as single fish. They are much better kept in groups of at least 6.
Same for Loaches and most small fish. Puffers are territorial not a schooling fish. Most peaceful fish are social.

Mollies can become bullies. Watch them.

I don't think you are overstocked, but you may want to rethink the fish you have. I'd return the CAE.

They all get along really well. The algae eater is super friendly. The mollies are friendly as well and my frogs are dwarf. Pretty small.

They all get along really well. The algae eater is super friendly. The mollies are friendly as well and my frogs are dwarf. Pretty small.

The CAE is young. They get big. Their diet changes from Algae to meat. They can get really horrid in small tanks. They should be in at least a 55g as they get 10".

How many years have you had the fish ???
Stores sell young fish.

Enjoy your tank, but research your fish. I've sold all these species and had CAEs and Mollies returned for aggression in smaller tanks. Your Mollies may be fine. Livebearers are messy so watch your water parameters closely.

It's your tank and your choice. I'm just offering you my experiences with those fish. I've worked in stores and I'm a local club member.

At my store CAEs would kill Mollies every night. I asked to stop selling them but instead tried to always discourage buyers.

The CAE is young. They get big. Their diet changes from Algae to meat. They can get really horrid in small tanks. They should be in at least a 55g as they get 10".

How many years have you had the fish ???
Stores sell young fish.

Enjoy your tank, but research your fish. I've sold all these species and had CAEs and Mollies returned for aggression in smaller tanks. Your Mollies may be fine. Livebearers are messy so watch your water parameters closely.

It's your tank and your choice. I'm just offering you my experiences with those fish. I've worked in stores and I'm a local club member.

At my store CAEs would kill Mollies every night. I asked to stop selling them but instead tried to always discourage buyers.

Only for about six months. I'm planning on getting a 75 soon

It's a fine mix. All fish are different

It's a fine mix. All fish are different

Sadly your mix being "different" means little. There are obvious compatibility, size, and possibly other (are you positive the gobies are freshwater and not brackish?) issues here. Sorry, we're not trying to criticize you. We just want to offer our collective experience by providing sound advice. Even in a 75 you will still run into very similar problems, so you may want to reexamine your current stock. While your fish may seem to get along now, things will change as they continue to grow and approach sexual maturity.

Back
Top Bottom