Overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscargirl19

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys, this is my first post and I was wondering if my 36 gallon tank is overstocked. It is heated, filtered, cycled, and planted. I currently have...

2 glofish pink tetras
2 electric blue balloon rams
1 madagascar rainbowfish
1 chinese algae eater
1 rubber-lip pleco
5 ghost shrimp

Is this going to be ok? Do I have any more playing room?

Thanks,

Oscargirl19:fish2:

Hi Oscargirl19,

It sounds like you are off to a good start! A couple of tweaks to your stocking plan might be in order, though.

As is, I would say no, your tank is probably not overstocked. However, some of your species are incompatible. Chinese algae eaters get good sized (10-11 inches) and can be aggressive towards slower moving fish, they also really should be in much cooler water than your blue rams.

The madagascar rainbowfish is also going to get good-sized (6 inches), and by himself probably wouldn't push the limits of your stock, but unfortunately he is a member of a schooling species, and needs to be in a group of at least 5 or more. However, I don't think your tank would be able to support a school of this species simply because of their size.

You also need to increase the size of your 'Glo-Fish' (white skirt tetras) school - again, they are a schooling fish species and need to be in groups of at least 5.

Is it possible to return the CAE and the rainbowfish? That would allow you to get more white skirt tetras/Glo-Fish and would allow you a little bit more stocking room for something else a bit more compatible. :)

Hi Oscargirl19,

It sounds like you are off to a good start! A couple of tweaks to your stocking plan might be in order, though.

As is, I would say no, your tank is probably not overstocked. However, some of your species are incompatible. Chinese algae eaters get good sized (10-11 inches) and can be aggressive towards slower moving fish, they also really should be in much cooler water than your blue rams.

The madagascar rainbowfish is also going to get good-sized (6 inches), and by himself probably wouldn't push the limits of your stock, but unfortunately he is a member of a schooling species, and needs to be in a group of at least 5 or more. However, I don't think your tank would be able to support a school of this species simply because of their size.

You also need to increase the size of your 'Glo-Fish' (white skirt tetras) school - again, they are a schooling fish species and need to be in groups of at least 5.

Is it possible to return the CAE and the rainbowfish? That would allow you to get more white skirt tetras/Glo-Fish and would allow you a little bit more stocking room for something else a bit more compatible. :)

+1

Shep

I agree with all those unfortunately but I don't think you are over stocked

At the very least get rid of the CAE! They are nasty when they get older.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Don't rubber lip plecos get huge later on? I'd get rid of the rainbow fish, Chinese algae eater. Same reasons as mentioned above.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Don't rubber lip plecos get huge later on? I'd get rid of the rainbow fish, Chinese algae eater. Same reasons as mentioned above.

They get to be 6-7 inches as I understand, but it's not a species I've kept yet. Probably plenty of algae eater for a 36 gallon.

Back
Top Bottom