Overstocked and not in control!!! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for all the suggestions guys :( I talk to my dad about it all the time, but he has almost no control over what she does. She would probably listen though if I explained it to her. Apparently she thought it was ok because "the tank at the fish store has hundreds of goldfish" and the employee said it was ok for guppies and goldfish to live together. I know it's horrible, but if she doesn't listen maybe I can try again once a few have died off... :(

Some people simply will not learn or listen until they see it happen before their eyes. I feel really bad for the fish but they might have to be martyrs to the cause if that is all that works.

I would say take one or two to the fish store every few days and say that they died. Once there's just a couple left, then try and talk to her about what they need. Thinking that most are dead should get her to actually listen and maybe care a little bit more

Thanks for all the suggestions guys :( I talk to my dad about it all the time, but he has almost no control over what she does. She would probably listen though if I explained it to her. Apparently she thought it was ok because "the tank at the fish store has hundreds of goldfish" and the employee said it was ok for guppies and goldfish to live together. I know it's horrible, but if she doesn't listen maybe I can try again once a few have died off... :(

Sounds like your dad needs a new girlfriend with better communication skills and possibly a brain.

Maybe. Most people don't feel empathy for fish the way they do, say dogs. That's mainly because they don't see the fish suffering. They see a fish that's swimming, and in their mind that fish is happy.

That response of mine was focused entirely on the fact that there is an obvious breakdown in communication, or caring somewhere between child, dad, and girlfriend. I'm pinning it to dad and girlfriend, specifically girlfriend.

In seriousness, taking the fish back to your local fish store or putting them all out off their misery at once are the best options in my opinion- after pleading with her about stocking, etc. Although that might not necessary with a tank that small, it'll just be more suffering for the fish. That way when she finds a tank with every last fish dead, you can say I told you so.
Call it harsh, but there's 20 other tanks just like OP is dealing with that we won't hear about. The fish in those tanks will suffer ammonia toxicity, nitrate poisoning, maybe stunting, but ultimately an untimely demise. What will those people do? Probably get more because "they're cheap" or try to sell the tank at retail price on Craig's list.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It's "dad's girlfriend's daughter" so I'm thinking she probably just doesn't know and sees the feeder tank at the fish store all the time... :p

Alright this is gonna sound cold but Im not a cold person ok? Lol what I would do is tell them nicely that the tank is not big enough for the number or type of fish. If they listen great! If not stop taking care of them and let them die.
Oonce that happens dont say I told you so. If they want to try again ask if they would like for you to help.
I know it stinks but its the best you can do :(

It's "dad's girlfriend's daughter" so I'm thinking she probably just doesn't know and sees the feeder tank at the fish store all the time... :p

Yeah some how I missed that one. Now I look like an insensitive fool. Eh.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have to say that I agree with stop helping. It sucks for the fish but they'll all be dead in a couple weeks and the fun of this nonsense will quickly wear off. Your help delays the inevitable but it doesn't give the fish the quality of life they should have nor is it teaching them how to take care of their pets. If your role in the family were different (like if you were your dad), I'd tell you to put your foot down and do whatever you can to stop the madness. As it is, doing so only creates bad feelings and possibly misunderstanding of your intentions. So, when I tell you to stop helping, I mean it. No fishing out carcasses, no water changes, no nothing. It's their learning experience and I'm afraid you'll just need to let it happen.

Someone on here said earlier that these fish might have to be martyrs for a cause :/ but that probably won't work as well if I keep sneaking water changes... I became pretty attached to the two I moved from the filter less half gallon, so I'm kind if hoping they're a little more resilient than the new feeder fish from the store and out survive the other fish, at least until someone realizes what's happening...

I say you stop helping. They will die with or without you in their current setup. Don't postpone it. The girls with grow bored and move onto the next fad.

Back
Top Bottom