Overstocked? room left?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phoenixphire55

Aquarium Advice Freak
Opinions please: Is my tank overstocked? Or are there still some fish I could get?

25 gallon standard tank with good filtration. I have 8 mollies, 4 corys, one betta, one female guppy and a little angel. The angel and the other fish will take out any new babies so we don't have to worry about the population growing. What else could I get? Anything?

I think you can add more myself. If that's a male betta, I wouldn't go too much more just to alleviate potential turf wars.

More cories or bottom dwellers would work. So too would more female guppies.

Go by the 1" of fish(at their max size) per gallon rule. mollies grow to 3" and you have 8 so thats 24". Most cories grow to about 2 or 3 inches and i dont know how big yours grow so i'll go inbetween and say your cories will grow to 2.5" and you have 4 so thats 10". A betta will grow to about 3". Thhe female will grow to about 3" as well. and the angel can grow to 6". so if you add all that up you get 46 inches thats too much already but if its working for you leave it. sorry. (if you really want another fish i would just get another cory)

Opinions please: Is my tank overstocked? Or are there still some fish I could get?

25 gallon standard tank with good filtration. I have 8 mollies, 4 corys, one betta, one female guppy and a little angel. The angel and the other fish will take out any new babies so we don't have to worry about the population growing. What else could I get? Anything?

When you say you have good filtration what do you mean exactly? How frequently do you perform partial water changes (aka PWCs) and have you measured your nitrate level? If so, what were the results?

I do PWCs every weekend and sometimes during the week as well. I'm kind of manic about my tank looking clean, especially now with the sand. I have a Hydor prime 10 canister filter and an aquaclear for a 20 gallon tank. more cories might be nice. The tank's floor is about 24" by 12". Too small for more cories?

My water changes are usually 15% but sometimes I do more like 30% pwcs. I'm considering more cories but I'd also like to get a single dojo loach. Maybe thats not an option. I guess cories would be pretty cool too. I just dont want my current cories to view the new ones as enemies or something.

With that amount of filtration and the frequency of your PWCs you should be in very good shape. The tank is definitely overfiltered. I would say you could add two or three more cories as long as you keep an eye on the nitrates.

I would recommend against the dojo. I love dojo's but in a tropical tank you shorten their livespan. They prefer and thrive in cooler waters. I'd get the cories, you will be fine with 3 or 4 more cories.

Is that a male betta? Did you answer this?

I'm not a fan of adding the dojo here either.

I've already chimed in as also liking another cory or so, but don't preclude just getting 1 or 2 more female guppies, or going with 1 m and 1 f (to make 1m 2f overall). In your tank, the fry would be taken care of just as your mollie babies are, and the little group of guppies would probably make for some more entertaining interaction in the tank without a lot of bioload. A male guppy is a beautiful fish, and his constant "come hither" shimmy is very fun to watch.

The reason why I ask a second time about the betta is that there is a decent bet a male betta harrasses and kills a male guppy. I'd want a guppy here anywhoo with a relatively smaller fancy tail so that the mollies and angels don't get at him either.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom