Overstocked.. some may think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

My tank may seem Overstocked... your opinion?

• With the plants and over filtration.. along with regular water changes... it can be done

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Your understocked.... add more fish NOW!!!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
G

Im finally done with my 10 gallon. Some of you may think that it is overstocked.... but i don't think it is. I have an aquaclear 70 HOB filter running on this 10 gallon fully planted tank. Planted with Java Fern, Crypts, Anacharis, Corckscrew Vallisenara, and Dwarf Saggitaria. A nice piece of driftwood adn two Terracotta pots to provide lots of hiding spaces. Malaysian trumpet snails to keep the sand sifterd, some baby apple snails spawned from the adults in my 55 gallon.
The fish are:
4 guppies (3F,1M) The females have dropped babies.. all of wich have been eaten by the tank inhabitans
2 German blue rams (both femlaes i believe)
1 Flame dwarf gourami
6 Panda Cory catfish
2 Otoclinlis catfish
1 Albino bristlenose pleco
1 Hillstream loach

Attachments

• 10_galon.jpg
    10_galon.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 208
  • 10_gallon_tank_planted.jpg
    10_gallon_tank_planted.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 227
  • 100948063493.jpg
    100948063493.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 269
It may be overstocked, but stocking limits are not simply determined by the inches of fish flesh. It is also governed by tank features and by the aquarist. You've got good filtration. You've got plants. You're experienced. You're willing to do more pwc's. Then the tank is probably just fine.

my 2 cents.

As long as you keep your nitrates down, I don't think there will be a problem.

BTW, nice aquascaping

Thanks!!! I know its fine. The nitrates are barely at 5-10 wich is good for the plants and i have both bottom, mid and top level fish. Th epleco and loach stick to the sides of teh tank.. the cories are mostly in the bottom.. the rams stay midlevel bottom. THe guppies and gourami are mid to top level. The tank looks georgous with absolutely no aggression. When i stopped and realized that i have 17 fish in a 10 gallon tank i absolutely couldn't believe it. I could foresee a problem if maybe some of the fish weren't full size, but they are all full size and they coexist wonderfully. I was a bit worried as to how the rams would do but they seem to be doing good! their colors are really coming out.. and all the fish are grazing right now.

I will however be downgrading to an aquaclear 30 because the plants are really taking off and i think the 70 is a bit overkill. The 70 will be going back on the 55 with the other aquaclear 70 once my aquaclear 30 arrives in the mail. Im also getting 2 magfloats in the mail.. one for acrylic and one for glass... can't wait (merry christmas 2 me!!!!)

Attachments

• german_blue_rams.jpg
    german_blue_rams.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 154
I too overstock my tanks. I do extra pwc's and keep a close eye on my parameters. I don't think you are way overstocked. I know you will keep everything in check and do what is necessary to keep the fish and plants healthy. Looking good!

The 1" per gallon rule is more of a guideline than a strict "you'd better not do that..." Actually, the only issue I see is when your guppies decide to increase your stocking levels :)

Jchillin said:
The 1" per gallon rule is more of a guideline than a strict "you'd better not do that..." Actually, the only issue I see is when your guppies decide to increase your stocking levels :)

Having that very same problem myself right now. :uhoh:

I feel it's overstocked. Filtration may be able to handle it, but you still have a tiny 10gallon tank with relatively little swimming space or surface area for gas exchange.

Crowded tanks tend to have more illness's due to stress levels.

I voted for overstocked, but that doesn't necessarily mean I think all the fish are going to die......tomorrow. I do wonder how long it can be successfully maintained at that stocking level. Plus certain fish can do better in such situations than others. I'd be really surprised if the rams live long in that tank. Hopefully they really are both females cause if they were to mate and start protecting eggs in a full tank like that there'd be alot of stress all around.

My guess would be that eventually the rams, the hillstream loach, dwarf gourami, and the otos don't last long in that situation.

That's about my guess, although I think the dwarf gourami will be fine. They are usually quite hardy.

Nevertheless, you don't have enough plants at all to be "filtering" partly with them. For my taste it is too unsafe for the fish and even if you regularly change your water and have a big filter you might have some big problems in a while, exspecially in a small 10gal!

its not too overstocked if you will clean it enough, but i find that blue rams are pretty finiky and with the guppies breeding it may get out of control with just guppies unless they get eaten

malkore said:
I feel it's overstocked. Filtration may be able to handle it, but you still have a tiny 10gallon tank with relatively little swimming space or surface area for gas exchange.

Crowded tanks tend to have more illness's due to stress levels.

Right about the gas exchange but it is very well planted and the plants are growing like crazy and don't they provide a lot of oxygen???
but if you are correct then i should start having problems and illness soon.. so we will see what happens!
You say they have little swimming space but when i look at the tank all i see is open space!!! It's so hard to convey the way the tank looks online becuase of the way it sounds... but if you saw the tank in person you would see that it is in very good balance. It really seems like a full active tank for a change. Im very proud of it.

Jchillin said:

One guppie has dropped her fry and not a single one is left :twisted: Not only did guppy mom and dad have snacks... but the GBR's grabbed a few for themselves.
any other guppy fry can go into the 55 gallon african tank.

talloulou said:
I voted for overstocked, but that doesn't necessarily mean I think all the fish are going to die......tomorrow. I do wonder how long it can be successfully maintained at that stocking level. Plus certain fish can do better in such situations than others. I'd be really surprised if the rams live long in that tank. Hopefully they really are both females cause if they were to mate and start protecting eggs in a full tank like that there'd be alot of stress all around.

My guess would be that eventually the rams, the hillstream loach, dwarf gourami, and the otos don't last long in that situation.

all i have to say is... we will see!!! I will keep an update on at least a weekly basis if anyone wants to watch this thread and let yall know if any aggression breaks out or if there are any disease or deaths.

Tiffi said:
That's about my guess, although I think the dwarf gourami will be fine. They are usually quite hardy.

Nevertheless, you don't have enough plants at all to be "filtering" partly with them. For my taste it is too unsafe for the fish and even if you regularly change your water and have a big filter you might have some big problems in a while, exspecially in a small 10gal!

The tank may not seem very densly planted right now because the java fern is just starting to take of and the vallisnera is just starting to propigate as well as teh anacharis and Dwarf Saggitaria. When i look closely i can see new plants growing and i think in about a month it should start getting pretty dense.
They are filtering more than you think... in a tank as stocked as this one i should have nitrate off the charts, but it hasn't gone over 10-20 which means that not only are the plants getting plenty of food, but the nitrate levels are staying very safe for the fish.

Im very excited to see what happens with this tank. I think i have a very good balance of fish (with exception of the guppies perhaps... but the fry is what i call... natural food) and it is in excellent harmony. I have always been one to push the stocking limits and have found that at times this can lead to tragedy and at other times it can lead to prosperity. I have been very selective in choosing which fish would go in this tank and am very pleased with the aesthetics and spawning of the fish in the tank.

I'd say overstocked, but not that it's an instant death sentence for the fish. I think it will work for a while so long as you are super kosher strict about the water changes.

The big problem I see lurking on the horizon is with the rams and their requirement for pristine water. Keep a real close eye on the nitrates, as in every week.
Also, watch the ammonia, as in every other day. If some guppy fry die and become trapped somewhere, they might be enough to send the ammonia levels skyward. Same thing could happen if a crypt melts or if a few snails die. It's impossible to tell how many guppy fry or trumpet snails you have at any given time; not to mention if you have any dead ones lurking about. In short, your current setup, even with the plants, doesn't give you very much leeway with regards to water quality. One missed sign on your part, and the entire house of cards will come tumbling down.

I love the way the tank is 'scaped, and the fish selection is fantastic. It's just that I would be more comfortable doing it in a 20 or 29 gal. Interesting thread. I hope nothing goes wrong, but if it does, I hope you are able to catch it in time.

BTW, how does the AC70 work in a 10 gal? That filter is rated for a 70 gal, and I was considering it for a 29 gal. Frankly, I'm surprised the current doesn't knock everything around in there like a category 5 hurrricane! :wink: I'm gussing you are using it to overfilter your overstocked 10 gal. I know you can turn down the current in the ACs, but doesn't that nullify some of the extra media volume?

The 70 is definetly overkill but since i had 2 on my 55 i figured i could use it to get started until my 30 arrives in the mail. (normally i have the 2 70's on my 55 gallon)
Surprisingly though the current isn't THAT bad... the plants wave and teh food gets blown down when i drop it in (so i turn off the filter during feeding) aS soon as i get my new aquaclear 30 in the mail i will put the 70 back on my 55.

Just tested the water parametrs:
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 5
pH 7.0

My nitrates have dropped since i added the anacharis. Before they were around 10-20... apparently the anacharis really is a nitrate consumer :| Not sure if this is a good or bad thing!!! I mean, its good for the GBR's but as you said i don't want any "melting crypts" (what exactly is that anyway? I've had my crypts growing in my 55 gallon tank for about a year now and they really took off since i put them in the 10)

im not going to do anything yet. As you said QTOFFER, some snail spawning and new guppy fry could cause my parametrs to skyrocket. As of now I am going to start testing the water on a daily basis until im positive it is stable.

you know, i was starting to get bored with my 55 gallon but I am really enjoying this now. I am doing the african cichlids in the 55 wich won't really get interesting until they start growing and i get some good rock in there, but i was expecting my 10 gallon to be a boring guppy factory. IT's turning out to be quite challenging, one of the reasons i decided to stock it the way i did. Yes it would be better to have this in a 20 gallon... but that wouldn't be as challenging.

THANKS everyone for all of your input and views. It's exactly what i wanted... i figured id get a 50/50 on the poll and i appreciate everyone's input. Please feel free to comment on anything as i will continue to keep this updated.

Ashley, it's fairly common for a crypt's leaves and stems to wither or 'melt' away in response to being moved or being exposed to water with drastically different parameters. Usually, the still-alive rhizome settles in and grows new foliage. I've given up on crypts after several attempts - they must not like my soft water.

Ashley, to put my 'crowded swimming space' comment into perspective: how much water do you think a single dwarf gourami would have to swim in, if it was in the wild?
I'll say only 100gallons of space all to himself, knowing that even that figure is way lower than reality.

Any time we take a fish and put it in captivity...we are putting it into a glass prison. 1 fish in 10 gallons is like 1 human in a 9'x9' prison cell. Both will survive just fine, and thankfully the fish doesn't have the cognitive skills to dislike being locked up.
But throw 13 other fish in there with him, and then the analogy changes to that of an elevator full of people...but no one ever steps off.

As far as plants and oxygen, yes that's true, but are you seeing daily pearling of the plants? If not, then the water is unable to reach oxygen saturation. This is normal...but with less surface area for gas exchange, extra fish crammed in there, you might be on the low side of 'good O2 levels'. Its hard to say, but be sure to check your fish at like 7am, and make sure none are panting or gasping at the surface, as that's an indication of low O2.

You read my mind, Malkore. There is very little swimming space and if the rams pair up....................

Back
Top Bottom