overstocked? understocked? what am I ? lol

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
hey guys, I was just wondering if ya thought I was understocked or overstocked, the setup is:

29 gallons:

3 inch red tail shark
5 tiger barbs ( all 2-3 inches )
2 zebra danios
1 ramshorn
2 clownloach's ( 3 inchs a piece SOON TO BE MOVED DON"T WORRY )
4 head and tail light tetras
1 black skirt tetra

Well, your barbs are pretty much fully grown, your shark is only small (he's another 3" or so to go), and if the clowns are going, then I'd say you're probably on track and have got it nearly spot on :)

Nearly? Well that's because if you're moving the clowns you'll need a nice bottom level fish for the tank: how about a trio of another (smaller) botia, like striata or almorhae? You could also opt for a nice group of cory catfish: about 3-5 would be fine depending on which you go for.

One last thought is your danio: do they school with your tetra? If not, you might want to get hold of a few more if there's only two. Perhaps another 2-4.

I would lean to the overstocked side but if your water paramenters are fine and your fish aren't picking on each other too bad you should be fine. What are your water paramenters?

ph is a stable 7.0
temp 78 degrees perfectly without ever using heater, its not even plugged in

ammonia 0
nitrite 0
phosphate 0.5
nitrate around 15

the tank seems really healthy all except for small, very small patchs of brownish diatoms near the bottom of the glass, but I just wipe them off when it comes back, no signs of illness, all my water parameters stay very stable, I think its pretty good lol

You are probably fine, just keep your Nitrates around there and keep an eye of the fish if one decides to play king of the mountain.

Back
Top Bottom