Overstocked with fry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GeorgeFrancis222

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

I have a 180L (47G I think) Aquarium that has been going for about 10 months, it has recently had a re-stocking. I have moved the residence of all my other tanks into this one, as we are moving soon and it will be much easier to transport just the one, and I like it like that anyways.

It has: 5 Platies, 6 Mollys, 6 Guppies, 7 Sterba's Corys, 8 Neon Tetras, 2 Otos, 3 Apple Snails, 10 Amano Shrimp and 10 Cherry Shrimp.

Normally this would be ok right? I have had conformation from a multitude of fish keepers, forums and websites that this is not a problem in a nicely planted, well filtered tank such as mine.

My concern is that the gupps have recently had babies by the hundreds, well, not really, about 50 fry are in my tank and I'm around 90% stocked now and I was wondering how much of an impact the fry will have. Are they now overstocking it or will they be fine until they grow up and I take them away?

Many Thanks,

GF:fish1:

This is my opinion, which is not a professional opinion at all but, I just put my first batch of fry into a ten gallon and I cant possibly imagine how small their bioload is, though that will change as they grow depending on how big they are.
If your fry are younger than a couple weeks I would probably guess that the leftover food that your bigger fish miss produce more contaminants than your fry. I hope someone can give you a for sure response though, Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom