Overstocked?? Yes, ANOTHER overstocked post.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You say that, but I found what must have been my last survivor ON TOP of my glass cover. I thought there was a bug there, but no... It was a dead RCS. I have what are pretty tight openings to allow for my filtration and heater. I don't know how it got there.

Oh wow!! Well I will definitely look around my tank then! Lol

It's possible, but much less likely. If you had swords and platies it would probably be more likely. They are more closely related than either are to mollies.

Oh. Ok! And just for future info, I'm thinking about getting a 30-40 gallon tank this summer!

Oh haha ok, so my next question would be, once we figure out what's wrong with my brothers tank, and get it set up correctly, would it be a good idea to give him 2 of my fish? He will then have 2 catfish, and 2 of my fish. I'm pretty positive that the ghost shrimp are already dead as they are on their sides at the bottom. And I'm pretty sure the 2 guppies left are perishing. Then get like one cat fish for my tank to eat some of the poop???

Catfish don't eat poop, lol.

I don't think your tank is overstocked at all. Mollies and platies both have huge bioloads, but as long as you are keeping up with water changes at 30%+ per week you'll be fine on that.

As for your brothers tank, I think he's a wee bit over stocked. I would remove the snails and add 1 more Cory since they are schooling fish and snails are poop machines
But IMO, I think it'd probably be best if he removes the snails and then decides on whether he wants to keep the cories or the guppies, then add a few more to whichever species he decides to keep

The cory cats need 3+ in a group. You can only keep three in a 10 gallon.

Agreed, you need atleast 3 so one more for your brothers tank. At your current stocking if you add corys you will be overstocked. If you move the sunburst over to your brothers tank, it will be fine as long as he only have the corys in there. But if you move the mollys (assuming there will be three corys) your brothers tank will become overstocked. No matter how you move the fish, you cant get more corys becuase they like to be in groups of three or more.

Ok....Im going to jump in here with a red flag...... :-(
From what I gather, you have both had your tanks for less than 2 weeks now. If that is correct, I would NOT add any more fish to either tank right now. Your tanks are still cycling, and if your brother has yet to do a water change, his ammonia is probably sky high, which could explain the already dead guppies.
I see you ordered a master test kit....good. You will need to be vigilant about testing your water and doing multiple weekly water changes for the next few weeks. Ideally, you need to keep your ammonia and nitrite levels below .25 during cycling. There is a great article about fish in cycling on this forum.
After you get your tanks cycled, I think it would be a good idea to add a 3rd cory cat to your brothers tank, and your tank should be fine with the 4 fish as long as you keep up with weekly water changes.
Sounds like you guys will have a lot of fun with your new tanks :). Fish are totally addicting, next thing you know, you'll want a tank in every room of your house! Lol

From what I gather, you have both had your tanks for less than 2 weeks now. If that is correct, I would NOT add any more fish to either tank right now. Your tanks are still cycling, and if your brother has yet to do a water change, his ammonia is probably sky high, which could explain the already dead guppies.
I see you ordered a master test kit....good. You will need to be vigilant about testing your water and doing multiple weekly water changes for the next few weeks. Ideally, you need to keep your ammonia and nitrite levels below .25 during cycling. There is a great article about fish in cycling on this forum.
After you get your tanks cycled, I think it would be a good idea to add a 3rd cory cat to your brothers tank, and your tank should be fine with the 4 fish as long as you keep up with weekly water changes.
Sounds like you guys will have a lot of fun with your new tanks :). Fish are totally addicting, next thing you know, you'll want a tank in every room of your house! Lol

+1. Here are a couple links :)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-jus...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

But I gotta disagree, Peppered Cory's can get big, like 3-4 inches & are very active. I think Pygmy Cory's would be better suited for a 10g.

He could keep three cories and 1 or 2 male guppies. If you have a filter rated for 20 gallons (like an AC 20) that would be okay IMO. You really need to get that test kit and read up on fish in cycling.
BTW, and IMO, you have too many fish to safely fish in cycle.

Ok cool, thanks!! That help a lot! And I already want another one! Haha, but I'm gonna stick with this one for a while so I can get the hang of it!

Back
Top Bottom