Overstocked?? Yes, ANOTHER overstocked post.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RyanBenson

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, my brother got his new tank a few days after I did and this is what I have: 2 Dalmatian mollies, 2 sunburst platy and well I HAD 3 shrimp but I think they got eaten or something. They are no where in sight. Anyways, my tank is doing fine! No odor at all! Super clear water! I did a water change today! However My brothers tank has 2 catfish, 2 ghost shrimp, 2 guppies, (he's already lost 2 guppies), and 3 snails. Both tanks are 10 gallons. We have both added the same conditioner in our tanks. His has a pretty bad odor..Is he over stocked?? And I don't know our parameters, I ordered an API FW master test kit yesterday!

What kind of catfish and how well do you clean the gravel?

I'm unsure of the exact name, I will look it up real fast! And he has yet to do a water change, he got his tank on Wednesday and dropped the fish in on Saturday of last week!

For your tank IMO your not overstock just make sure you do 25-30% water changes every week. As for your brothers tank once you know what kind of catfish i will let you know. Do you use a gravel vacuum?

For your tank IMO your not overstock just make sure you do 25-30% water changes every week. As for your brothers tank once you know what kind of catfish i will let you know. Do you use a gravel vacuum?

Ok, and yes, I use a gravel vacuum! I used it today during my water change!

Bio load=poop

Oh haha ok, so my next question would be, once we figure out what's wrong with my brothers tank, and get it set up correctly, would it be a good idea to give him 2 of my fish? He will then have 2 catfish, and 2 of my fish. I'm pretty positive that the ghost shrimp are already dead as they are on their sides at the bottom. And I'm pretty sure the 2 guppies left are perishing. Then get like one cat fish for my tank to eat some of the poop???

It depends on what kind of catfish they are. I'm a little confused, can you post the stocking of your brothers tank? And yours?

It depends on what kind of catfish they are. I'm a little confused, can you post the stocking of your brothers tank? And yours?

My brothers as of right now:
2 guppies
2 catfish (I'm about to look up what kind they are)
1 black mystery snail
1 white snail
Possibly 2 dead ghost shrimp

Mine:
2 sunburst platy
2 Dalmatian lyre tail mollies
And I had 3 ghost shrimp but before I started vacuuming today, they were nowhere in sight.

I agree. I think your stocking is fine. Those fish are going to max out at about 4", but they may never meet that max size. And your probably right about your shrimp. My swords really enjoyed that little delicacy! Most expensive fish food I've bought!

I agree. I think your stocking is fine. Those fish are going to max out at about 4", but they may never meet that max size. And your probably right about your shrimp. My swords really enjoyed that little delicacy! Most expensive fish food I've bought!

Haha yeah, I figured they got eaten or "grew wings and flew off".

Ok, here are two pictures of my brothers catfish, the closest thing I could find on petsmart.com (we got them all at petsmart) was a Cory catfish.

image-745516351.jpg

image-1499793052.jpg

Haha yeah, I figured they got eaten or "grew wings and flew off".

You say that, but I found what must have been my last survivor ON TOP of my glass cover. I thought there was a bug there, but no... It was a dead RCS. I have what are pretty tight openings to allow for my filtration and heater. I don't know how it got there.

Also, you may want to upgrade your tank, if your mollies and platies are mixed sexes, you are going to get a lot of fry.

Back
Top Bottom