Overstocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConnorCaldwell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm trading my angelfish for some fancy tailed guppies and I'm not sure how many to get without over stocking. He said I could take as many as I want but I was thinking 6 at the most. They will be with 2 neon tetras. 2 sunset mollies and a red swordtail, they are all smaller sized fish. The tank is ten gallons. How many guppies should I get or should I just give him the angel fish? Thanks

Stocking a 10 G

I'm trading my angelfish for some fancy tailed guppies and I'm not sure how many to get without over stocking. He said I could take as many as I want but I was thinking 6 at the most. They will be with 2 neon tetras. 2 sunset mollies and a red swordtail, they are all smaller sized fish. The tank is ten gallons. How many guppies should I get or should I just give him the angel fish? Thanks

Hello Connor...

Your present stock is enough. Livebearing fish, like Mollies and Swordtails need their own tank because they prefer water with a bit of salt. They're fast breeders and will overpopulate a small tank in a short time. I would make arrangements for expansion and pretty soon. Also, invest in some floating plants in the new tank. Livebearers are most comfortable in tanks with a lot of plants. I would recommend a 38 gallon tank minimum. A 55 G is even better.
Then, you can go get your Guppies.

B

The other thing is neon tetras need to be in schools of 5+

Yes I've taken that into consideration. That's what I was going to get before this guppy deal came up. Should I restock entirely? Maybe 3 guppies and 5 neons?

You could do 5 guppies and 8 neons if the mollies and sword are gone. If you keep the mollies and sword i would just get 5 more neons. But you would want to change 60-70% everyweek.

You could do 5 guppies and 8 neons if the mollies and sword are gone. If you keep the mollies and sword i would just get 5 more neons. But you would want to change 60-70% everyweek.

Why would that be? Out of curiosity

Well, the 5 guppies, and 8 neons only if you found a new home for the mollies and sword becuase: with all of them it would be WAY overstocked. If you keep the mollies and sword and add neons: you should do large weekly water changes becuase you will have a high bioload. I was trying to advise your current situtation instead of suggesting getting a bigger tank for the mollies and sword. But if you have the resources and room, the mollies and sword would do much better in a 30g.

Ok, well platties have a smaller bioload then mollies, becuase mollies get bigger. But my suggestions stay the same.

Ok thanks a lot. I really do like the platys, if I found a home for the swordtail and had the 2 platys, 5 of each guppies and neons. Would that be ok? Or would it be best to find a new home for them? Sorry if I'm being stubborn by the way haha

Ya it should. But you should test the water after 5 days, an then everyday after until it get over 20ppm nitrites, and then do a 50% change. Then you know that is your water change schedule.

Back
Top Bottom