Overstocking advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah I found one on amazon. The problem is that I don't have 20 dollars, and I highly doubt my mom is going to donate once again to my fish needs. lol

I'll work something out eventually to see if I can get one, but for now it's going to have to wait. I've had a ten gallon for two years and my 29 for nine months and never had any problems with my water, so I'm hoping nothing major is going to happen.

I understand not having money at the moment, but do try to get one when you can. You can always talk to different fish stores to see if anybody else does liquid tests. Its good that you haven't been having any fish problems, but if they ever do arise, the test kit becomes a necessity to diagnose whats going on. :) So, its better to try to get one before any problems do pop up. But, until then, be really diligent with your water changes.

The api master test kit is more work to find the results, but wayyyy more accurate and i reccomend

Yes, I understand. I always keep up with my tank cleanings. I probably won't be able to get it until december, though. That's usually when my grandparents send me money so I'll have enough to buy a kit.

keep as many fish as you want, make sure your filters are cycled and do lots of water changes, feed small amounts, but if your worried about water parameters, check around for amquel plus, it instantly neutralizes amonia, nitrates, nitrites, and heavy metals. If they are schooling fish, and this is just a guess, they are probably scared alot and skittish, so maybe you should feed with some pellet or something that sinks, cuz if you just throw food in there they will probably miss alot of it and it will mess up your tank. I donot believe it is bad to overstock a tank, if you know what your doing.

I've had many more cories, but they never seem to get enough food to sustain them. The sword tails know when I drop in shrimp pellets or wafers so sometimes it's hard to give them food, so I don't plan on getting more cories after these guys, that's why I got my loach. He's just a small one now, only about an inch and a half, maybe two. He's a bit brighter, and knows how to get to the food, and even eats out of my hand.

I'd love to bump up my rosys more than anything, but I just happened to come across them at my LFS, and there were only two, so I bought them. No one near me sells any more that I could buy.

I've never had any aggression in my fish tank. It's a very peaceful community. My black neons are very old, and I don't see them lasting for more than another year. In which case, then I think I'll see if my pet store can get in some more rosys, so they can have more of a school.

Are the danios schooling as well?

Have you tried feeding them with the lights out? If you have micro pellets that float, try throwing them into the water with a flick of the wrist, they will usually sink to the bottom and your corys will find them in your gravel using their barbels.

No one's ever skittish or scared and they always get plenty of food.

I do feed them at night and they do sink. My swordtails see it sink and attack the pellets on the ground at night as well. Sometimes I try and be stealthy about it. I feel like even if I do put them in there and the others don't reach it first, the cories don't to seem to care for them much. I've got sinking wafers and shrimp pellets.

I feed the fish at dawn when they are all still awake, so my feather fin and eel get food, and so do my angel, glowlights and hatchets. It works out great and i have a schedule for when and what to feed them for the week

Since I wake up around 6 in the morning, I'll try feeding the cories then... because all the others are definitely not awake. That's a great idea. Thanks!

I had a school but they keep dying on me... the two that I have are the only ones left. I think once they pass if I can't figure out how to feed them better, I'll give my loach his school since he wants one too. What's with me with all these incomplete schools? I should have thought before I bought lol

Hahaha ya u need to have completee schools so ur fish are happy. Its tho u can complete them soon

Yeah, you have like 5 or 6 incomplete schools if I remember right from the first post. Honestly, it can be harder to keep fish alive if you do not have proper schools for them. IMO/E, they tend to get stressed more easily and then often die faster. Thats why people are recommending that you just focus on a couple of schools and get them back to their proper sizes.
As for the corys, I am sorry you have lost a few, but it hard to say they died from starvation since you don't have a proper water test kit. I am not saying your water is terrible and is killing them, it just that sometimes people have issues with their biological filters that they would have never known about without a test kit.
Also, you can try putting shrimp pellets under plants or decor where the other fish can't fit. :)

I do not believe it to be water issues because the only thing that ever dies in my tank is my cories. Also I haven't had a death in cories for a very long time, though, so I think I'm getting better at feeding them. Despite the fact that the schools are incomplete, the fish still seem very happy. They are all very active and do not just swim with their own species. Never have I had an issue with them. Of course I understand that they'd be even happier with complete schools.
There really isn't a place where my swordtails can't get to in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom