Overstocking? Or just AqAdvisor...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missmonday

Aquarium Advice Freak
x9 gold cloud mountain minnows
x3 platy
x2 honey gourami
x6 amano shrimp
x1 assassin snail
x5 kuhli loaches
x5 panda corys

AqAdvisor says that my plans will eventually overstock my tank... It's a 29 gallon tank with 2 filters (Tetra EX45 and Fluval U2).

So far I only have the 9 minnows, the 3 platys, one gourami, the shrimp and the snail.

I still want the corys and the kuhlis, but since my gourami has been a little sulky lately, I was wondering if I should get a female (not 100% sure of my gourami's sex, but I don't think 2 females would be too aggressive).

When I do weekly water changes, I change about 30%. What do you guys think?

There are plenty of live plants in the tank as well :)

I think it would work if you did larger water changes. Go up to 50% a week.

The thing is, the minnows and platys alone take up a larger portion of your stock. Just be sure to yes for nitrates weekly once your stock is maxed so you can be sure your water changes are doing a good job of limiting them.

After a few weeks of having them, I've realized the platys poop a lot heh :'D the minnows were my cycling fish, but they're very hardy, not picky eaters and very active swimmers, so they're fun to watch.

Perhaps because of my plants, but I've never registered any nitrAte over 5ppm! When I typically test the water, nitrates are pretty low :)

So 50% water changes sound better?

After a few weeks of having them, I've realized the platys poop a lot heh :'D the minnows were my cycling fish, but they're very hardy, not picky eaters and very active swimmers, so they're fun to watch.

Perhaps because of my plants, but I've never registered any nitrAte over 5ppm! When I typically test the water, nitrates are pretty low :)

So 50% water changes sound better?

Really? I've always had trouble keeping nitrates down below 20 or so. Maybe I should check my tap or my test kit.

I would just stock slowly then. Keep doing what you're doing and if you see nitrates start to rise then start doing larger water changes.

Yeah, I actually made a thread in "getting started" a while ago where I got 0/0/0 and everyone chalked it up to my plants absorbed it all.

And well, I suppose I'll just save the 2nd gourami for last, since it's the only thing I'm a little iffy about (as a friend for my current gourami), and apparently a single gourami bumped up the stocking a lot too.

Yep the stocking is a bit high. You could do a few things, I am going a mention 3.
1 get more plants for your tank and keep on doing the same amount per water change.
2 do larger or more frequent water changes.
3 Or you could add more plants and do a few more water changes for even better results.

Well I actually bought 4 more plants today so I intend on adding them tomorrow! I'm not sure how much more I can do pwcs in either frequency or volume because my parents don't want me usog too much water, but I'll do what I can :)

Since I'm the least decided about it, if I get a 2nd gourami, it'd be th last. But amongst my plants are: rotala indica, giant hygrophila, green hygrophila, crypt. Lutea, crypt. Spiralis, hornwort, wisteria, amazon sword and green bacopa (I think)

I agree, can you get us a picture of the tank. Numbers of plants doesn't give an impression of how densely planted the tank actually is. I only have 5 types of plant but it's pretty full.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, you can only have 1 plant but it takes up the entire tank. Like a giant amazon sword.

I don't know the numbers off hand but panda corys like lower heat. Like 72 to 75 maybe and do gourami like it warmer like bettas? Might be something to check into. Somehow that thought just floated through my mind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Should I turn the heat down to about 74 or 73? I've heard optimal range for nearly all gourami is 72-82.

And I've added the plants to the tank and taken a few pictures, so I'll upload them and add them to thread when I get home. All of the fish seem curious to inspect the plants, which makes the right side of the tank more "forested" so I'm taking that as a good sign.

Double check me. Maybe planet catfish would be a good place too start for panda corys temps. But I've got it in my head they would enjoy 74 degrees better.

Planet Catfish suggests panda corys be in 71~76 degree water. You've got a way better handle on corys than I do, and I'm most excited to add them, so does 74 sound like a nice even temperature?

Yes then I would try 74. If all else fails you can always adjust the heater to 72. I think you'll be pleased with the corys. They are really my favorite group of fish
I couldn't look on plant catfish for you because I'm at the vet with my cat and I'm getting few bars in my cell. Anyway, it's a good website to refer to. I've heard the panda corys are easy to breed if they don't get too warm.

No worries, Brenna, I completely understand. I have data anyway, so it wasn't a problem for me to look stuff up on my phone.

Well, now that I'm home, here is a picture of the tank with some added plants! This isn't my final work, as I'm still wanting to add in some pvc pipes and tie either christmas moss or java moss on top and give hidey holes to both shrimp and future kuhlis.
B0shAQX.jpg

Any other suggestions?

Reddish crypts. Some are bronze looking some are deep reddish hue. I think they would add a great pop of color without detracting from Mr. Mango.

If you do not want the industrial look of white PVC, you can coat the outer surfaces of the cut PVC sections with a thin layer of aquarium safe silicone and roll it in dry sand or fine gravel. The moss may find it easier to cling to rougher surfaces.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom