oxygen and filtration question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leftysav

Aquarium Advice Regular
So today I took my aqua clear HOB filter off and replaced it with a fluval 205 on my 30 long tank. I have the return hose 3" below the waters surface as instructed. I also have a hydor koralia 550 on the opposite for current. Will there be enough oxygen in the water for the fish to be happy?? Nothing is really "breaking" the surface now...should I put a bubbler in?? Any help would be appreciated! :dance:

What's the size of your aquarium. I put my output close from the water line, so that it make some wave and to keep the white film from forming on the top of water (forgot the name).

Edit: you need small wave on all part of the top of you water. No need to splash it.

If you have lots or big fish you need a air pump. If you have plants, make it work at night.

Fish do love swimming in it, even so it noisy.

Leftysav said:
So today I took my aqua clear HOB filter off and replaced it with a fluval 205 on my 30 long tank. I have the return hose 3" below the waters surface as instructed. I also have a hydor koralia 550 on the opposite for current. Will there be enough oxygen in the water for the fish to be happy?? Nothing is really "breaking" the surface now...should I put a bubbler in?? Any help would be appreciated! :dance:

IMO, you need more flow and disturbance. I use a 12" bubbler for more oxygen in my 29g tank. I also have my water about 3/4 of an inch below the plastic molding (so glass is showing a little) which creates more of a waterfall effect from my filter. My fish love it and are more active now that they have a stronger current and bubbles to swim through.

Agreed. More aeration is always better. The last thing you want is barely enough and then the filter stops running for no good reason. A nice strong air pump is always good.

Back
Top Bottom