Oxygen Stones in the aquarium - what do u think about it ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i think its a waste of money, imo you could just go to petsmart and buy a small airpump for tanks up to 15 gals for the same price of $8.99 i have one and it gets the job done in my 10 gal..

sounds like junk to me. an airstone does the same thing...and if you use a HOB filter, there's no need as the surface agitation ensures oxygenated water.

don't worry about getting it. Water has a maximum saturation limit (that decreases as temperature increases) and usually with good filtration you can reach that limit. Any extra oxygen just goes straight out of the tank.

I have an UGF in my betta tank just because its only 1 gallon and that's theonly filter htat fits, but it has an airstone and oxygenates, and it keeps the water crystal clear. Plus I do a 100% water change each week and rinse out the gravel so it's not like maintaining an UGF in a huge tank.. believe me i am usually against UGF's but it works for this little 1 gallon.

Anyway the point is those little things are a waste of your money... just get an airstone if your worried, but betta's extract oxygen from the air anyway!

I think those are only if you have a fish bowl. They seriously are a waste if your planning on using them on a tank. Plus thats to replace air systems, if you have a small 5gallon or goldfish bowl and no air stone in it you throw one of those in so your fish wont sufficate.

What kind of fish is it for? For a betta its pointless because they breath mostly at the surface. For other fish its better and more cost effective to get an air pump.

Exactly, bettas are surface breathers, so it's pointless for them. put a goldfish in a bowl, and you have far bigger problems than O2 levels.

Plus, the secret key to dissolving gas in water is surface contact time. The longer the bubble stays in the water, the more O2 goes into solution (until saturation).
Those fizzy tabs dissolve in a couple minutes...do you really think it's gonna keep the water O2 rich for a month?

Not to mention that thing looks like it decaes and brakes down, further adding crud into the water with your fish.... Get an air stone for the same price.

I would want to know what the heck is in that thing to output Oxygen for a month. The oxygen would have to be bound to something that breaks down in water. The O2 is released and then "binding agent" would be left in the water. Sounds shaky to me.

Back
Top Bottom