Pacotimis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noelle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Another question. (I will probably have several since I am new). The pet store said that I won't need to add a pacotimis (spelling?) right away since the tank is only a few weeks old. When should I add one? Or do I need more than one for a 36 gallon tank?

I think you mean Plecostomus? I would wait until you get some algae growth. I feed mine algae wafers at night. You don't neccesarily need them. You have other options like otos. It also depends on what type of fish you have in tank. I am sure other people will reply and give some advice.
Jim

Also, be careful what type of pleco (aka plecostomus or algae eater) you purchase; some get to be 2 feet long!

You don't have to get one at all; there are other options. There are other types of fish which will eat algae (such as otocinclus as degbowl mentioned) or you can simply scrape the tank walls yourself.

I agree with Allivymar.....I had either 2 or 3 pleco's and they all died....early in tank stage. Finally decided I just thought that they were ugly and gave up the idea of it! But I do have 3 Otocinclus like Alli suggested. I dont clean my plants at all unless they are so discusting I cant stand the look at them. The little guys take care of it. I use a nylon scrubber that you can pick up at the lfs and use it to clean the glass in the front and sides and I just leave the back alone and the little guys love it! So dont worry about a pleco....and they do get really big!LOL

What fish have you added already? I agree that a plecostamus is not required, but you should wait until the tank is well established (3-6 months) before considering that, and the common pleco will get too large for your tank, for sure (I know they look cute at 2", but they grow very quickly). You can consider some of the dwarf plecos, like bristlenose or rubberlip, or clown, but then you would need only one.

Stay away from plecos unless you really like them as fish. I am never one for buying a fish for its utilitarian purpose. Buy a fish because you like the look of it in the tank. Plecos make more waste then they clean and can really ruin water quality fast. If you get one aim for a bristlenose pleco.

The best way to get rid of algae is to avoid it in the first place. this generally means avoiding giving it food. Over feeding your fish results in higher levels of nitrogen in the tank. This can quickly lead to algae with a little light. Do good water changes every week, reduce feeding to just a little bit per day and the algae levels should remain very low indeed. The occasional scraping with an algae pad on the glass (get the magnetic ones so you don't have to put your hand in the tank) will take care of most problems.

I like that philosophy, tkos. I know that I have overheard LFS employees indicating that no tank is complete without a pleco, but that is certainly not the case. They can foul things up as much as they can clean, and sometimes they don't do all that much cleaning! I adore my bristlenose, and don't think they are ugly at all, but not everyone agrees. :wink:

I personally think my spotted sailfin is really pretty... he is also very active which I think is fun (and so does my kat). I dunno, he reminds me of a shark.. and its like "Hey, I have a shark in my tank.. look at it go" but to each their own.

I don't have any algae problems but I feed him waffers and he is a happy camper.

Never let anyone talk to you into buying something and never let people talk you out of something- look at the facts- look at the fish- and go with your gut =o)

I like the spotted plecos too, and my juvie bristlenoses are spotty right now, with white tips on their tails - lovely! Now that they have been in there for a while they are much more active than they were for the first 2 weeks or so.

ugh I got bad advice on my pleco. Hes huge and I was told hes fine for a 12 gal...well apparently not he keeps getting bigger. I need to find a new home for him. He is quite ugly too...he got in fights at the pet store I presume because he has lighter skin in certain areas (hes not sick). It might end up hes going into a pond this summer...oh well I don't have much of choice unless someone wants a 10" Pleco...and can pay shipping ahah....If you do get a pleco be SURE to get a dwarf one. I bought another common pleco for my 10 gal and already regret it...hes only 3" though. He is a diffrent species than the one I have in my 12 gal. Oh what am I going to do with these fish? Lol. I like the little pleco I think hes gorgeous but not the huge one.

lyquidphyre said:
I personally think my spotted sailfin is really pretty... he is also very active which I think is fun (and so does my kat). I dunno, he reminds me of a shark.. and its like "Hey, I have a shark in my tank.. look at it go" but to each their own.

I don't have any algae problems but I feed him waffers and he is a happy camper.

Never let anyone talk to you into buying something and never let people talk you out of something- look at the facts- look at the fish- and go with your gut =o)
I bought a pleco about 6 months ago. I thought it was a common pleco, but if I look at him closely he has spots and I guess you can say he has a sailfin. Do you have any pictures posted of yours? I would like to see if this is what I have. I don't have a digital camera to post a picture of mine. Thanks!
Jim

I just looked at your gallery and saw the picture of yours. He is nice but it's not what I have. Mine has more rounder spots and I don't think he has a sailfin. I am going to have to buy a digital camera.

Back
Top Bottom