Paging Dr. Bearfan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bearfan

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, the curse of the clown loach has hit with avengance. Three of my clown loaches and one small pleco all got Ick within 12 hours. I added new plants at around 7am and noticed the first signs of Ick this morning. Well, not having a 10 gallon tank anymore (giving it away to a friend), all I had was a 2 gallon eclipse I previously had on my desk at work. It's not a pretty hospital, but sickers can't be chosers. Treatment started today, we'll see, but hopefully I got them out fast enough.

The loaches and the pleco for medical treatment were removed. I added 10 ghost shrimp to the main tank and 3 to the hospital tank to help clean the parasites from the gravel.

It is a common theory that ghost shrimp are the perfect natural protection against Ick as they consume them when they are in the free floating multiplication stage. I figured I'd give it a try. I have seen it documented several times.

That would be my problem to in my 55 gallon tank. However, I could get some for my other two tanks. Would ghost shrimp be capable of eating fry?

I hope your clown loaches and pleco recover.

Yes, they will eat fry. As far as them getting eaten, it's inevitable. But at 29 cents each I don't feel that bad. I throw a dozen or so in for under four bucks and they seem to help. It takes a while for them to all get eaten.

Thanks for the ghost shrimp info for ick, I'd never seen that before (but I've only been following the forum for a few months). I hope that your fish recover!

Sure Bearfan,

But with my Jaguar Cichlid, who managed to eat her way through 10 tiger barbs in three weeks, ghost shrimp will not last very long. I am however looking at getting some larger shrimp that will assist with the clean but have not found to many.

Status update:

1. Noticed the celebese rainbow had some spots...welcome to quarantine.

2. Other fish that are infirmed are still alive and not displaying any obvious signs of distress.

3. No other cases found in main tank.

What's your water temp?

Theres another thread around here somewhere, but I'll summarize.

Ich can't survive over 82 f. I turn the heat up over 2-3 days to about 85 and it almost always works. gotta catch it before its too bad though.

Status Update:

All fish in quarantine still showing signs of Ick, but none appear to be in distress. Things are still positive. No other cases of ick in the main tank.

Okay...

1. Celebes Rainbow totally cleared of Ick and transfered to another small aquarium to prevent reinfestation. :D

2. Small pleco looking better. Maybe 24-48 hours and he'll be clear. I think I'll go and grab another 10 gal for $20 and set it up for my new recovery tank. I have the miscellaneous parts, so $20 is worth it.

3. All three clown loaches still showing signs of ick. Appears to have gotten somewhat better, but who knows. :?

No other fish showing any signs in the main tank. :multi:

That's tonight's update.

I figure this is an example of what people go through with Ick, and maybe someone will find it interesting when they go through it.

Okay...day 4.

I put in filters to help clear the water and did a 25% change. I have found that after three days of treatment, you need a couple days to give the Ick a chance to die off and not overmedicate your sensative clown loaches.

And another Clown Loach has passed away :rocol:

But, my Butteryfly Pleco is clear of any spots. He will be moved into a separate hospital tank for a week or so.

The other Clown Loach is looking bad...That Ich is nasty stuff :eating:

The final clown loach died, but the butterfly pleco is healthy and happy. At least I caught it before in infected my main tank.

Back
Top Bottom