Painted fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

domsmom

Aquarium Advice Activist
We have 3 blue painted tetra. Our first 3 fish. Now that I've read into it I feel very badly for painted fish, the pain they might be caused and the controversy behind painting fish. I read, a lot of fish that are painted don't live long because of the stress they are put through. Sad. Ours we have had since October, which I guess that's a good thing! I saw some at the store tonight though that had little hearts "painted" into their sides! Makes me kinda sad... I think they would have actually been prettier if just left alone! :(

I agree with you completely about the tattooed and dyed fish. I think anyone that knows about them would. On a slightly good note the tetras you saw today might have been bleeding hearts and that is exactly how they're supposed to look.

We have 3 blue painted tetra. Our first 3 fish. Now that I've read into it I feel very badly for painted fish, the pain they might be caused and the controversy behind painting fish. I read, a lot of fish that are painted don't live long because of the stress they are put through. Sad. Ours we have had since October, which I guess that's a good thing! I saw some at the store tonight though that had little hearts "painted" into their sides! Makes me kinda sad... I think they would have actually been prettier if just left alone! :(
Yeah, most people who know about the painting/dying process choose not to buy those fish. From what I have read, a lot of them die right away, so the ones that actually make it to the pet stores seem to do ok. I have not read any studies about the long term life quality of those survivors though.
I am glad yours are doing well though. Even though you didn't know about it when you bought them, at least you do now. Thanks for posting. :)

The tetras with hearts on them are not tattooed or painted. They are bred that way.
Did the fish have a black or red stripe leading to or from the heart?

On a slightly good note the tetras you saw today might have been bleeding hearts and that is exactly how they're supposed to look.

Yep, so go ahead and buy those ones domsmom lol No worries.

I haven't seen a dyed fish at my lfs before, but the other day there was a dyed Ranchu goldfish in the back corner tank. Big red warning sticker saying, "INK DYED". Was glad to see that, not so glad that they even had the fish.

I think I saw the bleeding heart tetras, it's a red heart shaped marking right? These were pink and purple hearts! Some where just the outline & some filled in! It was kind of sad to see, ESP because there were so many! :(
I def would not buy any painted fish again now that I know!

paytertot said:
They could have been tattooed mollies couldn't they?

No... It's not that easy to paint or tattoo a fish. It would be very hard to tattoo a heart on a fish. If the fish looked the same in the whole tank, then they're definitely not tattooed. All fish that are tattooed are different, regardless of species.

domsmom said:
I think I saw the bleeding heart tetras, it's a red heart shaped marking right? These were pink and purple hearts! Some where just the outline & some filled in! It was kind of sad to see, ESP because there were so many! :(
I def would not buy any painted fish again now that I know!

So they didn't look all the same? I've seen tattooed mollies and that's what it sounds like IMO couldn't have been bleeding hearts if some were outlines

They also have tattooed platys with hearts (for Valentine's Day *eyeroll*) in some places.

I guess I should have asked him what they were... Lol they were def something I've never seen before. A lil odd looking & the hearts were very jagged, almost like a lil kid colored it with a crayon..
I might have to stop back in and check them out again! ;)

Yeah, the bleeding heart tetras are supposed to look like that, but there are some other fish that I have seen get hearts tattooed onto them.

I thought bleeding heart tetras look like their hearts are bleeding, not like they have a valentine heart.

KaylNeko said:
I thought bleeding heart tetras look like their hearts are bleeding, not like they have a valentine heart.

That fish under the angel is a bleeding heart. It's hard to see his spot in that pic but it's literally just a red blob where you'd think his heart to be

Attachments

• image-1371028567.jpg
    image-1371028567.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 75
The hearts on these fish was very unnatural. Now I'm going to have to check them out again! Lol

I saw tattoed mollies (hearts on some spots on others) and dyed parrot fish. Hated it.

GodFan said:
I saw tattoed mollies (hearts on some spots on others) and dyed parrot fish. Hated it.

I hate it too, fish are part of nature and should not look like a prize from a gum ball machine.

I hate it too, fish are part of nature and should not look like a prize from a gum ball machine.
I dont mind like glofish because it is humane but no animal should be mistreated for my enjoyment. Thats why our dogs dont get their tails chopped if we can stop it.

GodFan said:
I dont mind like glofish because it is humane but no animal should be mistreated for my enjoyment. Thats why our dogs dont get their tails chopped if we can stop it.

I have a dog who's tail is docked but we got him when he was a couple months old, so :/ I'm not a fan on glofish either tho, just because they look weird. Lol

Back
Top Bottom